Crazy times with truck prices

In Excess

Reaction score
So we are changing up our game a bit and decided it’s time to sell my older truck to make some room in the garage

2015 2500 duramax ltz long bed.

local Chevy dealer that I do a lot of work with offered me 51k……damn is all I can say 

i went to toyota to get a new tundra they were going to give me 26 for a 2011 fj which sounded good untill i found out they wanted 10k plus fees over msrp 

Looking into new Denali 2500HD. Dealer is getting 8000/over invoice.

crazy.

Buddy just picked up a 2021 GMC 3500 Denali and I think he paid right over 100K. Had a 10K markup on it.

I lucked out. Before the rona I was planning to be in the market this summer for a new truck. Built it online and knew what I wanted, just a matter of waiting to pull the trigger... then this garbage started and the 85k truck went to nearly 100k for absolutely no reason other than supply and demand. I couldn't justify it and planned to wait. While shopping for a used car for the kiddo I caught a used one on the lot and made a fair deal on a 2016 Chevy 2500 High Country. I'm sure it was more than I would have paid without the rona but it wasn't the blatant gouging that there is on brand new ones.

Oh, and the 2002 GMC 2500 with the 8.1 I'm replacing with the new truck nearly doubled in blue book :lol:  ...it's about to go away soon as the kid is using it to commute to school and the gym @ 10mpg :bangin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been waiting 12 months to pull the trigger, just can't do it with these prices.  Annoying the hell out of me.

My Loaded 2018 Silverado Duramax LTZ will be paid off next month. Woo HOO.  Blessed that it was only 70K looking back today. I wouldn't know what to do today if I was in the market for a new one.  Good luck.

i went to toyota to get a new tundra they were going to give me 26 for a 2011 fj which sounded good untill i found out they wanted 10k plus fees over msrp 
Don't be afraid to sell the FJ private party.

Look at what they are selling for, I just booked my 2011 4x4 with 85K miles for $30,000

my buddy sold his 19 dodge ram cc 1500 with 19k miles to give me the vin.com for 5k over what he paid for it new.

so he thought hell i'll sell the wifes masserati, got 4k over what he paid for it. boy she was pissed when she finally noticed it was gone in the garage.

so he bought a gladiator, put wheels on it, and sold it with 375 miles on it to a dealer in texas who gave him 5k over what he gave for it.

he gets a call the other day, sir your cars ready, what car i have 2 and they are both in the driveway.

No sir the corvette you ordered over a year ago, its in, we would like to deliver it friday, from texas.

well its for sale also lol, he forgot he even pre ordered it

I bought a 2021 Ram 3500 in May and it took me a few weeks to track one down.  Built it online and sent the build sheet to all my local dealers.  Never got one call.  I had 5 sold out from under being that they were a distance away.  Figured out that if you use the Ram website, they will give your info on trucks being delivered to dealerships before the saleman even know about them. I finally locked one down in Laramie, WY.  They brought it to Denver, I flew in and drove home.  Had to pay MSRP but didn't pay a premium.

Been looking for a new Suburban but not paying a premium.  Tried to order one but they don't want to even do that because they are getting a $8k-$15k premium.  Was told by my friend at a dealership that they do not want you to order because they have to deliver at the MSRP, no mark up.  If you look at vehicles the lot, they all have add ons.  I was told that once the dealership adds a single item on the build, they are allowed to add a premium.  If they leave alone, they cannot charge more than MSRP.

I got my 2021 F150 & F250 below MSRP, just had to order them and wait. I might sell my F250, make a profit and order another one. Bought the wife a BMW last weekend had to pay $5K over but got $7K more on the trade. I can see with the shortage that dealers need the mark up, they are selling fewer cars but still have the same overhead to cover. 

Back