Coolant poll

What do you use?

• Total voters
DexCool 50/50

Last edited by a moderator:
Distilled water and two bottles of royal purple coolant additive. 

Delo ELC in my truck. 

Asian blue coolant in the Honda sandrail. 

50% coolant 50% water 

55% coolant 45% water because you get nervous about 50/50 when its -40.

dex cool 50 /50    if it runs hot then go with the water wetter and water

Nissan motor, so standard green, replaced every other year. 75/25 water/antifreeze and a bottle of water wetter. The antifreeze is only there as lubricant/corrosion protection. It’s never going to be needed for freeze protection. 

Higher water concentration is better for cooling. 

Everything I have is standard green.  I have....Camry, 2 Nissans, Suburban, Villager, Tucson, and maybe more, mixed 50-50

For my rail in the intercooler circuit and engine I use maxima offroad coolant. 

In the LS Sand cars  its real GM Dex Cool  50/50 and water wetter.  Supercharger Intercooler I use Prestone "green" and Hyper Cool (its green) 

This way if I have a leak I know where its coming from.

I tried the street version of VP stay frosty - it seemed OK  - might go back to it since it has freeze protection - the race version and Maxima Cool-aide I know cool better, but no freeze protection.

I run an 18lb cap as well and change the cap every two years with the coolant

I run 180-185 in hot weather  - coolant cannot fix overheating IMO - you just run what stops hot spots and lubricates well

I HATE greasy water aka Coolant, but I cannot risk a freeze or I would run distilled water and water wetter (water wetter has some seal lubnrication)

In street cars I run factory coolant from whatever brand car I have. 

But I change it every 2 years regardless there too  - Knock off Dex Cools absolutely do not compare IMO  - they get white residue over time

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m gonna run water wetter and water. And if everything looks good. I’ll drain out a quart and add coolant for the occasional freeze time protection.

When I prepped two Class 1 cars and 3 prerunners we ran distilled water and water wetter. Zero antifreeze. In my personal prerunner I ran tap water and water wetter for several seasons. I now run a little green coolant so I can see leaks as @Fullthrottleguystated. 

Is freeze protection truly needed if the car only sees Glamis?
Depends where it's stored. I didn't think I needed to winterize my boat motor living in east sd county but I ended up with a cracked block. I'll never not use antifreeze (or not winterize my boat) 

Back