Converting to LiFePO4

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Okay, trying to get as much knowledge and info to make sure I do this right.

I just ordered 3 of these Li Time 12V 230AH batteries

https://www.litime.com/products/litime-12v-230ah-plus-lifepo4-battery-built-in-200a-bms-max-2944wh-energy

To replace my 8 full river 224AH 6V batteries... that were in my motorhome. If I am doing my math correctly, my 6 volts wired in Parallel provided 896AH of 12V juice at , but since they were AGM batteries, and really should not get below... that gave me 448AH of juice (896/2).  The new Lithium batteries are 230AH X 3 = 690AH of 12V juice... and since these can be ran down to zero.... that is a little over a 50% increase in overall capacity! did I do this math right or am I missing something.

a few questions before I pop these into my motorhome. 

1.  would you use your onboard inverter/ charger to charge these batteries, or would you run a separate stand alone charger for these?  I would like them to charge when I fire up my generator... which currently goes through my inverter chargers.  I currently have 2 magnum ms2000'S (one is newer and is lithium ready, the other is not).  Each one is capable of charging at 100 amps.  I think I would need to upgrade my remote in order to do this correctly?

2. Motorhome obviously has a motor and an alternator.... I have read that the Alternators can be overworked by these new LifFePO4 batteries?  Is this true or a myth... do I really need to worry about this?  In it's current setup, the alternator charges the chassis batteries (2 separate batteries) and also sends charge to the house batteries (not exactly sure if it does it all at once, or waits for the chassis to be topped off before it goes to the house batts)   

3.  If I use my inverter / chargers to charge these new batts, since the charge parameters are different... will that destroy my chassis batteries?  I am assuming when the gen is running and batteries are being charged, that it is also charging the chassis batteries.

4. I currently have no solar, but plan to add it down the road.  What type of panels should I be looking for, and how many panels should I be installing if the idea is to have these batteries topped off daily? 

If I'm missing something... please let me know.

I have a great mobile solar guy and he's in your area. And he can answer all your questions from this thread. 

I did it on my coach and it’s rad and a game changer

as long as you have a good inverter charger you will be golden. Call magnum energy and they will give you new settings for you  to set your inverters to. their customer service is awesome

get a liBim for the alternator side of the charging that will solve that I’ll post a pic of what I had. 
1500-2000 watts of solar will be money

enjoy

IMG_2209.jpeg

Alright so what was the price?
So I needed new batts... so that is kinda hard to factor into the cost, but...

Batts we a little over 2k

Panels were a little over 1200

everything else, including labor was 1800.... which when you add up all the other components, those alone are close to 1300-1400

So about 5k all in. I originally didn't plan on solar, just wanted to go lithium on the batteries, but I decided to just dive in. BTW If I had gone with battle born batteries like I was originally thinking about... it would have been over 5k in batteries alone. 

So I needed new batts... so that is kinda hard to factor into the cost, but...

Batts we a little over 2k

Panels were a little over 1200

everything else, including labor was 1800.... which when you add up all the other components, those alone are close to 1300-1400

So about 5k all in. I originally didn't plan on solar, just wanted to go lithium on the batteries, but I decided to just dive in. BTW If I had gone with battle born batteries like I was originally thinking about... it would have been over 5k in batteries alone. 
Still cheaper than a Honda 3k generator. 

He did mine yesterday, 800Ah of battery and 600w of solar, probably going to add some more solar. I would highly recommend Andrew, thanks again Jeff. 

He did mine yesterday, 800Ah of battery and 600w of solar, probably going to add some more solar. I would highly recommend Andrew, thanks again Jeff. 
Did you go lithium on the batteries? 

Been in Glamis for two days and my solar hadn't been charging. Sent Andrew a screen chit and he saw the Victron is only sensing. 67v from the panels. Climbed uo there tipsy and I found melted wires and two connectors snapped when untried to uncouple them. Stopping by his shop tomorrow for new connectors and wire. Dude knows his sh!t!

Screenshot_20231028_141446.jpg

20231028_154204.jpg

20231028_154857.jpg

Been in Glamis for two days and my solar hadn't been charging. Sent Andrew a screen chit and he saw the Victron is only sensing. 67v from the panels. Climbed uo there tipsy and I found melted wires and two connectors snapped when untried to uncouple them. Stopping by his shop tomorrow for new connectors and wire. Dude knows his sh!t!

View attachment 85046

View attachment 85047

View attachment 85048
What caused the melted wire?

Did you go lithium on the batteries? 
Yes, I went with the ones Andrew recommended. I was going to do the Li Time ones but he said he's has some issues with the some of the direct from China ones. The ones I got are Rich Solar (I'm sure made in China too) but have a 10 year warranty from what seems like a well established outfit. The cost per battery is a few hundred more but in the scope of things not a enough to risk having an issue with warranty. 

What caused the melted wire?
Not sure. System is 4 seasons old. A few months ago the breaker upstream of the Victron tripped. Guess it was a warning sign and I ignored it. Reset the breaker and the solar was charging again. RV was at a repair shop for a month and I went straight from there to Glamis. Then I saw it not charging and found the melted wire.

I found the problem with my system and why the wires melted.  Eff boi Lord of the Dunes sold me the cheapest Chyna wire he could find 4 years ago when I bought my first panel from him.  I remember splicing the wire and the insulation on the positive side split and copper wire was showing.  I cut it back a few feet and it seemed fine.  I should have know better.  The wires on the roof are from that same spool included in his 'kit' and it eventually split, corroded and melted.  I'm working with my solar guy Andrew to replace all the wring and connectors from the panels all the way to the Victron controller.

This picture is from oct 6, 2019 when I installed the first panel.  I crimped the connecror on and used heat shrink, then saw the wire had split.  It wasn't because of the heat shrink, it did it for the next couple of feet of wire as well.  Quality wire from Lord of the Dunes.

image_5699.jpg

image_5700.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back