Comp Cutting Tires. Are you a fan?

HP.Habits

Reaction score
The other day I was contemplating comp cutting my 14.50 STU Dune Sports. Shedding some rotating weight would be nice and the thought of "lighting up the rear" quicker in turns sounds nice. I started to wonder though if by thinning the tire, it would change the way it slides. I have a Gen 3 Funco and obviously sliding is key to the way this car performs. Anyone have any experience comp cutting Dune sports? 
Question 2) In General, How many of you are fans of Comp cut tires? also Why or Why not?

I have never driven a car w comp cut tires but a person in our group has them on his car.  But his car is an old school mid engine vw  swing axle made to go straight and run on smooth clean sand. 
I have considered it at one time but I travel to several sand spots where the sand is not always clean and free of rocks, sticks, glass etc so I didn’t want to lose the durability and puncture resistance of the tire so I opted not to comp cut my tires. Hope this is helpful 

Thanks for you input. I have had the same concerns. Just last year I ended up visiting Dumont, Glamis, Sand hollow, and Little sahara UT. Glamis was the only place that was mostly soft almost everywhere. Although, I know STU tires are true 4-ply, so they shouldnt lose very much durability. Still losing some, thats for sure. 

Buddy ran them for a season. After about 59 plugs, he ended up with heavier tires and constant headaches. Swapped them out for regular cut paddles and swapped in an LS

Seem fine for a light weight lower HP car or SxS.  Doubt they'd last long on my 3500lb car with 800HP.  Can't say I've ever seen a set on a full sized sandrail in Glamis, and I've definetly never seen a set on any car I have prepped.

The original yellow Terminator car back in 2004 had comp cut tires.

He took 35" BFGs, sent them to Skat Trak, had them shaved and had huge paddles welded on.

Had had a super charged LS6 in the car.  

Ran them for 4 seasons before the paddles started coming off the tire.

Never had any issues.

Never done it, but have always felt the reward would not be worth it vs the risk of popping a tire easier.  

The original yellow Terminator car back in 2004 had comp cut tires.

He took 35" BFGs, sent them to Skat Trak, had them shaved and had huge paddles welded on.

Had had a super charged LS6 in the car.  

Ran them for 4 seasons before the paddles started coming off the tire.

Never had any issues.
Two different things though. A BFG shaved with paddles vulcanized onto the carcass is not the same as a STU that has the carcass shaved down to the bare minimum to eliminate weight. When Fullerton sand tires was still around I picked up a pair of 'comp cut' paddles for @tjZ06 RZR I was building him. I forget the owners name but he showed me the difference from a normal vs comp cut tire. I think they were around 8lb lighter per tire, which made the in clutching on a RZR better I think.

Seem fine for a light weight lower HP car or SxS.  Doubt they'd last long on my 3500lb car with 800HP.  Can't say I've ever seen a set on a full sized sandrail in Glamis, and I've definetly never seen a set on any car I have prepped.
Naw, they even suck on a Low HP SxS, ask me how I know... LOL

Unless your Drag or Hill racing, don't get them.

Interesting insights. Thanks for sharing. I know a handful of guys up here in Utah that love them. A good handful of them run them on their duners and dont seem to have any issues. Which is surprising considering how many rocks there are between the camp area and getting to the dunes. Ive seen both High hp SxS and Sandrails. Either love them or hate them I guess lol

I ran a set for years at Glamis and never a problem. 1600 pound V8 car. 

After doing some more research, Comp cutting is super popular with the old school rails and especially drag racers, for obvious reasons. What is super surprising though (at least to me) is how many "Big Tire" cars are starting to get it too. I have been watching a lot of these pages and seems like they are never running out of business. And from talking to some of them, The orders are becoming more in demand. Finding good cutters seems to be the hard part for customers. Comp cutting is very difficult to do correctly, and extremely easy to screw up lol. Truly an art. And those that have experimented with different tires, seem to be big fans. Just some general info I have gathered since starting this thread. 

Comp cut Dunesports 11 lbs per tire. 2 seasons no issues 2300lbs car 550hprs to the wheel pure duner and slider. Yes there are tradeoff I worry about sticks and someday when I get to Idaho I'm sure I will be nervous :lol:

20201125_075429.jpg

I have a set that go to a stock YXZ for sale

Back