COMMs, Helmets and Pumpers - School Me Please

Dockmaster

Reaction score
In my quest to get my sand car build right I would love to get some input on intercoms, helmets and helmet pumpers. For the intercom and car to car I haven't discussed with Grant yet as build date is still kinda far off. My quote has this: 

Intercom & Car to Car Communications 2 place With Bluetooth Trax

I believe the package quoted is PCI but I need to verify. From their website, it looks like they use Kenwood for car to car. What do I need to know? What systems are recommended? What questions to ask? I had Rugged and Standard in my last car but rarely used the intercom and never used car to car. 

I'm thinking about forcing my self to start wearing a helmet. Seems like having a pumper makes that a little more comfortable? What are good helmets? Good pumpers? I looked at a few Youtube vids. I would want a helmet with the pumper on the side or at least not on top as I have headroom issues already. And, of course, I'll need speakers and a mic in the helmet.  Thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience. 

I just switched out my car from Rugged back to PCI, the quality of the sound in both talking and listening was noticeably better.  Rugged worked fine, the only reason I switch was the Rugged didn't have a squelch on my radio and I won a new PCI system in a raffle.  Even my friends say I sound much crisper and clearer.  FYI, I didn't change the antenna or power/ground wires at all.

PCI has great helmets.  I have never used a pumper system.  I have never had a windshield either.  I like my helmet in the cold seasons and find myself using headsets on the hotter days.  You choice. Grant would ask you why you wouldn't wear a helmet and thats a great question.

PCI hands down for in car/ car to coms.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing about PCI is they aren't selling knock-off rebranded equipment, it's all known manufactures. Not that the others have poor quality but it sure stings to buy a $400 radio and see it on amazon for $89.... Yeah they have their tweaks for the wiring but nothing else.

The story is true like most things in life, you get what you pay for. PCI sells the highest quality products.

Helmets are tough there are so many to choose from both from SFI rating and style. Air and Comms can be added to ANY helmet. If $ were no object a carbon is the way to go for weight just by it's self.
I'd probably look at this one https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Simpson-SA2020-Carbon-Desert-Devil-Helmet,437516.html

Give the helmets to Funco and have them match the paint scheme.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only issue I had was some of my radio channels did not match other peoples radio channels. So channel compatibility would be my concern.  

PCI is your one stop shop. If local, go there and try on helmets and discuss radios/intercoms. 

Intercom/Radio

PCI ELITE COMMUNICATIONS PACKAGE with kenwood radio and Bluetooth / DSP intercom 

https://www.pciraceradios.com/products/elite-communications-package?variant=43925468381425

Helmet

I run the IMPACT CARBON AIR DRAFT and LOVE IT. Problem is they are still the SA2015 model and have not released the newer dated version. I have a buddy that just bought the PYROTECT PRO RACE CARBON MIDAIR and loves it. 

If I were running a windshield, then I would purchase a Stilo carbon open face. PCI can source these for you and make sure it is wired properly for your intercom.

https://www.stilohelmets.com/Open-Face-Helmets

Neck Restraint 

Please keep in mind these restraints are only intended to keep your head attached to your body incase of an accident at high speed. They will not help with G outs or compression.

I run the Simpson HYBRID SPORT with their neck roll. It is great for racing, but a pain to use while pre running or having fun. I would consider the Necksgen setup for a play car. 

carbon impact helmet. pci. I don't like the trax but that's just me. always needing an adapter when you change cars or whatever is a pain

I have had both PCI and Rugged I prefer PCI but my current set up is Rugged an old set I swapped out from another rig other than headsets which are PCI. Never have had pumper set up have thought about many times if I do it would be PCI they have great customer support.

the only input i have on helmets is if you can try them on in person before buying.

I am in Oregon as well. The Rugged stuff seems to die early and regularly with folks in our group that try to save money. I have the same PCI setup for years. No Issues. Radio, comm's and pumper as I wear glasses and don't like fog up. All running in an X3.

@Dockmaster You’re a big dude, make sure Grant gives extra headroom so the helmet doesn’t hit the headliner or roof bars. 

@Dockmaster You’re a big dude, make sure Grant gives extra headroom so the helmet doesn’t hit the headliner or roof bars. 
LOL! Yeah that’s why Grant is using the GTU 4 seat chassis which has 3.5” more head room but building it in a 2 seat conversion for me. I will also go with a +1 or maybe even +2 seat so I have enough azz room 😀😀. Hoping +1 is enough so it fits easily without console mods. But you are correct. This is why I figured I need a helmet with the pumper connection on the side and not on the top. And then still need to verify fitment of everything. 

Back