Clutch won't disengage

Cookie

Reaction score
Honda mated to a Mendi 2D, Pulled tranny out had it gone thru, just got everything back together, when I started the car and tried to put it in gear it won't (with engine running).  Bleed clutch slave as well, getting full pull on the clutch, but it is super soft, not much resistance to it.  It looks like I am pulling the engine again, fun times.  

Any ideas what it could be, did I put the clutch in wrong (can you)?  Is the pressure plate bad?

Any ideas, I will be in the garage starting this process all over............

In heavy equipment I've had the disc/flywheel rust together and they won't disengage even with pressure plate disengaged. 

In heavy equipment I've had the disc/flywheel rust together and they won't disengage even with pressure plate disengaged. 
I would get this if it had been sitting, but I just put this together.

It feels like nothing is moving in there, like the throwout bearing is doing nothing. It is new, was put in by the Wright Gearbox, I didn't touch it..........I can hand push the clutch arm on the tranny pretty easily.

If discs are installed wrong that will do it. 
Tall section of hubs have to be towards pressure plate. 
Single disc?  Double disc?

Did you adjust the lock nut on the slave so it has enough throw to engage?

Last edited by a moderator:
throwout bearing fell 1/2 off?  if its an 8" perhaps the pressure plate didnt get seated in the register of the flywheel, forgot to torque the pressure plate?  you bled the clutch without putting the bleeder straight up?  you think the clutch is adjusted but its not (too much free play)

disc in backwards

Engine will be out in a few minutes, waiting on the muscle to show up..........

Single disc

Salve Cylinder is bleed out

Pressure plate was torqued

I think I have the disc in backwards.............I will update

Maybe wrong throw out bearing for your pressure plate. Was it hard to get it in the last few inches? 

I had the clutch plate, male side facing the engine, it should be pointing towards the tranny/pressure plate, right?

I had the clutch plate, male side facing the engine, it should be pointing towards the tranny/pressure plate, right?
Yes. Facing trans, like carwashguru shows.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s it. Disc is in wrong. What do I win????  Lol
Haha, engine already back in, clutch feels like it should, time to button everything up again......... Thanks everyone, GD.com rocks again.

Ha!.. When I broke the motor mounts jumping off 10 foot shelves in Glamis, it also locked the transmission and the whole tranny and engine would flex. Luckily I had clutch (and locked in 2nd gear) so we were able to drive it back to camp. 

After the transmission was rebuilt I wanted to 'learn' so I helped I had someone help me put it in. Since I was learning he had me put in the clutch plate.. and ding ding.. got it all in there and I put it in backwards (guess he wasn't watching me closely enough). So been there, done that too. Had to pull, flip the plate and re-install. 

Took us a while, we kept messing with the clutch adjustment, springs.. it was a long time ago. .. 

Glad you got it figured out!

See you in the sand!.. I'm onna 6 day countdown!

abc

Ran car, shifted thru the gears, everything good.  Sand is calling my name

Ran car, shifted thru the gears, everything good.  Sand is calling my name
I just did this exact thing, so had to pull it out a second time, then put it back together, felt great, but had a terrible noise, tore it out a third time, the flywheel bolts were aftermarket ARP bolts but didnt have enough clearance and were rubbing on the rivets in the clutch plate. Now putting it back together and should have it all figured out lol. On the bright side i can remove the motor in about 20 min 😂

I just did this exact thing, so had to pull it out a second time, then put it back together, felt great, but had a terrible noise, tore it out a third time, the flywheel bolts were aftermarket ARP bolts but didnt have enough clearance and were rubbing on the rivets in the clutch plate. Now putting it back together and should have it all figured out lol. On the bright side i can remove the motor in about 20 min 😂
That sucks, I thought the same thing, I am getting good at pulling this motor.

Back