Clutch setup for LS2 / 2D combo

kgwmu

Reaction score
Looking at buying a 2014 S&S 4 seater with an LS2 and a 2D. The car has been sitting for 2 years and something is up with the clutch. The engine fires and runs fine. Can put the car in gear when the car is off and when the car is fired in gear the car wants to take off. Guessing it's a simple as pull the engine and clean up the clutch/flywheel. The slave cylinder seems to move freely. 

Any pointers?

Also looking for suggestions on what clutch setup to go with if it needs replacing. Thanks! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like adjustment.  Or the clutch is shot.  Nothing to really "clean up".

If you replace the clutch, 9" is the very safe route to go in regards to longevity, but not needed to hold the HP of a stock LS2.

8" would do just fine.

I blew right through an 8" with 300hp.

The 9" six puck is the way to go.

Base the stage of your pressure plate on weight and horsepower.

I blew right through an 8" with 300hp.

The 9" six puck is the way to go.

Base the stage of your pressure plate on weight and horsepower.
Wow.  I ran a 8" dual disc, stage 4, on my stock LS1 for 5 years.

2800lb car.

Ok, thanks for the info guys. I'm not sure of the HP, the current owner bought the car to flip it after doing some work to it. He thinks the LS2 might have a cam, but other than that it is stock. Also not sure on the weight, I'd have to put it on a scale. 

Ok, thanks for the info guys. I'm not sure of the HP, the current owner bought the car to flip it after doing some work to it. He thinks the LS2 might have a cam, but other than that it is stock. Also not sure on the weight, I'd have to put it on a scale. 
Weight isn't super critical, unless you way under estimate it.  You should be able to call Kennedy in Palmdale, and they will help you select.  A V-8 fully loaded car is probably 2000-2400lbs.  450-500hp-ish for the LS2.  They will probably tell you a stage 3 or stage 4, and get you set up.  They are good to deal with.

Weight isn't super critical, unless you way under estimate it.  You should be able to call Kennedy in Palmdale, and they will help you select.  A V-8 fully loaded car is probably 2000-2400lbs.  450-500hp-ish for the LS2.  They will probably tell you a stage 3 or stage 4, and get you set up.  They are good to deal with.
That is about what I was going to guess. Thanks for the confirmation!

before you put a new clutch in

double check the free play, but then it might have AIR in the line and not pushing in the clutch,  try to pull they slave cylinder all the way spread apart, to make sure it is not double pumped together and bottoming out,  then adjust the clutch slave 

or pull the slave off and pull it apart as far as you can then will insure the slave is not already pushed in, adjust the slave, then bleed out the line, 

I have not seen a clutch go bad by staying in gear, 

its in the slave or in the fluid 

I won't buy a new setup unless it is required. Thanks for all the ideas on what to check when I get the car in my possession. The guy drove the car to it's current spot in the shop, but it just wouldn't go into gear this time.

Back