Clutch question

Trevor

Reaction score
New car to me, first trip out this weekend. Everything ran great. Car has a decently new clutch according to previous owner, who by the way i trust. I was getting some rpm jump that to me seemed like a slipping clutch. Its a subaru putting 320 to the wheels. New 33 blaster #1 cut tires running 16 pounds of air pressure. I was able to get the rpm to jump rapidly in 3rd gear going pretty good down sand highway. Id imagine i dont have nearly enough power to spin the tires like that when going at such a good pace. Im thinking its time to inspect the clutch before next trip, but just was hoping for some reassurance. Its adjusted properly to my knowledge as it has about an 1/8th inch of play at the throwout. 

If the clutch is brand new and the disc is a metallic puck style, they do require break in before they grip to their rated capacity. Could be other issues as well. What kind of clutch is in the car? Flywheel is new or resurfaced?

If the clutch is brand new and the disc is a metallic puck style, they do require break in before they grip to their rated capacity. Could be other issues as well. What kind of clutch is in the car? Flywheel is new or resurfaced?
I dont know i havnt opened it up myself. Previous owner says it was a kennedy stage two or three. Makes sense about breaking in. I dont know that it is that new. I may also drive it a little harder than the previous owner did

Check the clutch adjustment? Should have some play in the pedal.
Has quite a bit of play in the peddle. Also seems adjusted correctly at the tranny side. Maybe input shaft seal caking clutch in oil? 

Has quite a bit of play in the peddle. Also seems adjusted correctly at the tranny side. Maybe input shaft seal caking clutch in oil? 
If there was that much oil, it would be coming out of the hole in the bell housing or running down the adapter plate between the motor and trans.

If there was that much oil, it would be coming out of the hole in the bell housing or running down the adapter plate between the motor and trans.
After looking, the pan was hiding quite a bit but there is quite a bit of oil that collected there and all around between adapter plate and motor. But now im more leaning towards the rear main seal or the oil pan gasket being the culprit

It is a Subie, easy to pull out and inspect.  Certainly a slipping clutch.  Two years ago, I had the same issue but with covid couldn't get a new clutch fast enough, I fixed the oil leak, cleaned up the clutch and 40 days later of duning still no issues.

It is a Subie, easy to pull out and inspect.  Certainly a slipping clutch.  Two years ago, I had the same issue but with covid couldn't get a new clutch fast enough, I fixed the oil leak, cleaned up the clutch and 40 days later of duning still no issues.
Thats the route i plan to take

Back