Chemistry help

RideSand

Reaction score
I have a chemical that I use to put a patina on mild steel. It blackens it and kind of shows the natural grain of the metal if you want to call it that. No one has it local to me, and I am trying to figure out how to make some of my own. Do you know anyone or anywhere that may be able to break this liquid down and tell me whats in it? Thanks!

You can form a patina on steel with vinegar and salt, but I'm not sure it's the same thing you're looking for.

"Steel Black" should work for you.  I have used something similar on brass, and it worked on steel as well.  The solutions look similar.  My label fell off the jug, so not sure what the actual chemical is.

I know a guy, but the cost might not be worth it.........  LOL.

Walter_White_S5B.png

I googled "where do i buy a chemical to patina steel" & a bunch of them came up an homemade ones too. 

I have about 5 concentrated gallons left of the one I use, but am trying to figure out how to make it on my own. Just have no idea how or where to pull it apart and get a breakdown of whats in it.

I've used Lab One INC. in Phoenix for oil sample testing before.  Might give them a ring.

No dice. Calling up my high school Chem teacher next haha

If you were able recall the name, you could get the MSDS for it.

What's it called?
Ive been waiting for this answer too. Now is sounds like 5 gallons are stored in a container that is not the original? 

Can the OP pour some in a clear container and see the color? I bet you could go online and find a match. Then google the sds to build your own batch. 

I did the quick google search as well yesterday and the voice told me the same with vinegar and salt being an option. 

Vinegar, Hydrogen peroxide, & salt will just get you the orange rust oxidation, not the black he's after.

I have a chemical that I use to put a patina on mild steel. It blackens it and kind of shows the natural grain of the metal if you want to call it that. No one has it local to me, and I am trying to figure out how to make some of my own. Do you know anyone or anywhere that may be able to break this liquid down and tell me whats in it? Thanks!
https://sculptnouveau.com/

Used this stuff a ton. They sell it at I.M.S. in riverside as well.

Back