Chain lube

DeepBusch69

Reaction score
What chain lube are you guys using that doesn't attract sand?  My grandson has a quad and it's been years since I have worked on these, thanks!!

Maxima Chain Wax, not messy, O-Ring safe and clings pretty good. Plus almost all the dealerships carry it.

71waOzqhPBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

you don't have to really lube a o-ring chain I was always told.i hit my chain with WD-40 after a wash it to keep it from rusting then wipe it down with a cloth.been doing this same procedure since my first real bike with a chain and that was a  1985 Honda ATC  350x man I wish I had kept that beast. but never have I had a issue and all my chains and sprockets seem to last just as long and all my Buddys chains have and my frame is much cleaner.still to this day I do the same think and have now passed it down to my kids...👻

When I ran the MX track I would use some wax or lube or whatever to keep it clean but it always just made a mess on the bike.  You see the two wheeler guy's they will pray stuff on before each session or race. Then I took a brand new chain and sprocket set and only used WD40 after I washed it. Then a quick wipe down and the frame/ swing arm didn't get any build up plus when I went to the dunes I didn't have any sand sticking to anything.  I didn't notice any premature wear and tear on the chain or sprockets even though people told me I would.  Only time I ever had premature breakdown of chain and sprockets was self inflicted by forgetting to tighten it back up after adjusting.

So take a brand new chain and a rag and wipe it down before even putting it on and hit it with the WD every time it gets wet then wipe off the excess. Clean as a newborns bottom your chain will be.

i am bad with doing stuff on the chain on all the quads after about four or five seasons the sprockets are getting worn and the chains are kinking up.   a little to late for chain wax or wd lol.   

Ive had good luck with the maxima products. I do the cleaner, wipe, penetration lube, let sit then wipe, then the wax, and wipe... I know I way over complicate things but seems to do ok and not make a mess or get messy. 

Is it a little quad with non oring? Couple months late. I soak the chain in kerosene. Brush it with a chain brush. Rinse clean and shake it dry. Carefully use the air gun. Then just recently switched to 80w oil. Same red Honda bottle i use for the trans in the bike. 

Giving that a try after watching some videos. Surprisingly the oil doesnt fling that much. 

I had cleaned my chain all nice. Used the synthetic maxima spray. Went to glamis and it was covered in sand. Cleaned the chain again and used 80w honda oil. 

Actually come to think i switched back over to dirt mode but have not rode yet with the oiled chain. In the videos it did really good on the fling test. 

Im hoping it doesnt attract sand as much. No real experience yet. It is a little easier to wipe off the excess. Like mentioned when using wd40. That maxima stuff reminds me of the lucas oil display where you roll the gears and watch it cling. 

Back