Chain lube for sand toys

onanysunday

Reaction score
What do you like that does not let the sand stick and grind the chain? Chain lube? Chain wax? Graphite? Do nothing? I now have two short chains to take care of. They are O-ring chains. 

20210506_173806.thumb.jpg.a9452d563d0f901853daa4ef2784d7c5.jpg

I used either a dry lube or even just WD-40.  Worked great for me for years.

All those chain waxes and sticky compounds don't work in the sand.

I have a hayabusa buggy and use o-ring chains....the owner of King sand cars told me at one of the sand shows to NOT put any lube on it.  It turned out to be great advice...chains and sprockets seemed to last longer.  I'm not sure if its the same for quads / dirt bikes, etc.

I’m not saying what I do is right or wrong, however I use dry graphite spray on my chains. 
I work in the dirt and use it on heavy friction areas, it keeps the dirt from sticking. Why would it not work for the same principle in the sand?!  

if not graphite, I wouldn’t use anything.

O rings keep the lube in so the chain stays lubricated where it pivots. I used maxima chain wax to protect from rust but you need to apply it every trip. The really good chain lubes like PJ1 black/blue fling all over the place and the lube can't penetrate past the o rings anyway. It's good for non o ring chains. 

I would wipe my chain clean with a dry or damp cloth after each dune trip.  When i would wash the quad after a day at the track I would WD40 it then hit it with compressed air and then wipe off with a cloth.  Might not of been the best thing for them ( or so I was told) but I changed sprockets and chains about the same as the guy's who would use the other stuff, plus they had crap all over the swing arm and engine. I didn't.

Oh and we need a better picture then that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Maxima Chain Guard.   Goes on clean and no mess.

chain lube.jpg

Back