CBM, Redline, Turnkey, Or?

wesinls

Reaction score
Blew up my twin turbo Northstar this week and I'm wondering if I should make the LS swap. Which of the engine builders listed is the best one to go with and why? I don't want something crazy fast just reliable probably an LS3? Or should I try to put one together myself by buying an engine off eBay, computer,  etc. It seems like you're paying a lot to buy the packages from these builders but I might not be seeing everything involved in it. The car I have is only a two seater and light it seems like one of these motors stock would be more than enough for me. If I buy an engine from one of these builders and have someone install it in the car I'm looking at 20k minimum from what I can tell.

PXL_20211122_004655275.jpg

PXL_20211122_004640644.jpg

PXL_20201229_195244479.jpg

Call all of the engine builders and give them your budget, timeline and HP expectations. Then decided which is the best fit for your needs.  

Blew up my twin turbo Northstar this week and I'm wondering if I should make the LS swap. Which of the engine builders listed is the best one to go with and why? I don't want something crazy fast just reliable probably an LS3? Or should I try to put one together myself by buying an engine off eBay, computer,  etc. It seems like you're paying a lot to buy the packages from these builders but I might not be seeing everything involved in it. The car I have is only a two seater and light it seems like one of these motors stock would be more than enough for me. If I buy an engine from one of these builders and have someone install it in the car I'm looking at 20k minimum from what I can tell.

View attachment 19225

View attachment 19226

View attachment 19228
A lot of the cost of those engines is in the peripherals - clutch, flywheel, adapter, oil pan, headers, all of the accessories and brackets, etc plus there are a lot of little internal improvements that might not add power, but help make the engine last longer at constant high rpm. Don't forget to contact fullthrottleguy or J Alper, those guys also know what they're doing. Might be a few more I don't know about as well.

Ls with a Holley should last a long long time   

you might be able to find someone that is upgrading to a different ls and get a deal. when i put the blower motor in my car i sold my ls1 complete for 5500 clutch to wire harness and computer complete runner. but it is long gone 

Unfortunately it will not be a direct swap. The motor mounts will have to be changed, plumbing for the cooling system will probably need to be modified, and I'm guessing a new adapter plate/flywheel would be required as well. I currently have a CBM 440 and couldn't be happier with their set up and after the sale support as well. I have had work done by Danzio and they do top notch work also. I've heard good things about redline and JAlper as well but don't have personal experience with them. Are you looking for a shop that you can drop the car off and pick it up when it's finished or just get the engine and computer and do the rest yourself?

For a rear engine it is pretty easy, we have done a ton of swaps from V-6 to LS, Caddy to LS, Rotary to LS,  but the Mid Engine is some work,  

Trans is super strong will hold the weight of the motor, so it can give you some time to mock up the motor mounts,  pulling your motor and installing the motor will save some coin,  the Fab work and wiring will be pretty simple, we have a CNC Plasma to cut out all the brackets, after on the schedule it takes about a month to do the rest, 

If you’re in SoCal... redline! If you’re closer to Vegas... J-Alper 

Alper has my vote and my money! Great person, product and the service is Top Self

If that’s Dan’s old car, plenty of trans for a 3.0 Whipple on a mild LS… :biggrin:

Which transaxle do you have? The Northstar makes me think you have a 2D. An LS3 is going to likely have a lot more torque than your northstar and be potentially punishing to a 2D. With a light car and assuming you do have a 2D, I would be considering a turbo Honda or subi instead of the V8. Just an out of the box thought to consider if you’re going to do a swap. 

Jason built me a Alper 402  for my SCU Honda to LS swap. The motor was a beast, by far the most fun I’ve had in a V8 car. 

Can’t wait to get the 440 with 4.0 he’s building. 

F42DA030-2B9D-4864-B969-C786098ECE2B.jpeg

View attachment IMG_2145.MOV

Back