Cast Off or Forge Ahead

FOG

Reaction score
Trying to find info on what type of pistons manufacturers install in their SxS, cast or forged. 
Do any of them come with forged pistons from the factory when you buy a factory turbo?

Or do they all come with cast pistons even if you get a factory turbo?  
Or is it dependent upon the individual manufacturer?

Did some research and couldn’t find any specs that indicate wether they were cast or forged pistons from the factory. 

IIRC '17+ XPTs have forged pistons, the first year ('16) XPT was still cast pistons. 

EDIT: this source seems to corroborate my memory: https://utvactionmag.com/10-all-new-upgrades-for-the-2017-polaris-rzr-xp-turbo/  I could leave well 'nough alone and had to research it.  I found multiple sources on my first search... 🤷‍♂️

-TJ
Thanks.

I searched both Polaris and Can Am manufacturer specs and there was no mention of the type of piston they used.  You would think if forged pistons was a competitive advantage over cast pistons for their turbo cars they would have it in their specs.

Anyone know if Can Am uses forged pistons in their turbo cars?

I am sure alot of builders would know but for sure Jason Weller would, maybe reach out to Weller?

• Thanks
Reactions: FOG
Want to say Yamaha went to forged so you could add their turbo kit.  Don't recall what Can Am uses.  

Cast and forged have different expansion properties, i would check the piston to wall clearance if you are doing this your self.  

Cast and forged have different expansion properties, i would check the piston to wall clearance if you are doing this your self.  
I think he was just asking what they came with stock, probably as a rough analog to durability/longevity of these factory boosted motors. 

-TJ

I think he was just asking what they came with stock, probably as a rough analog to durability/longevity of these factory boosted motors. 

-TJ
That is correct. 

Want to say Yamaha went to forged so you could add their turbo kit.  Don't recall what Can Am uses.  

In 2019 they went to the GTYR connecting rods, but didn't change the pistons IIRC: https://utvactionmag.com/yamaha-announces-changes-to-2019-yxz1000r/

@FOG I can't seem to find anything on the Canned Hams either...

-TJ
I too thought Yamaha did something internal when Arctic Cat put the Yami in the XX. Or maybe it was only for the XX batch of engines as the XX has more power then the YXZ. I think Nate @ Alba said the cam profile was different too?? I don’t remember. 

• Thanks
That is correct. 
I had 8,000 miles on my last X3 of which it had a tune on it for 7,000 of those miles.  The motor was just as strong as the day I got it.  I know there are many X3s with over 15,000 miles on the motor and I know of one that went to around 40,000 miles.  That guy replaced his motor.   In stock form the Rotax motors are as solid as they come.   

I have friends with 5,000 miles or more on their Turbo XPs.  Transmissions seem to go on the Polaris long before the motors. 

I had 8,000 miles on my last X3 of which it had a tune on it for 7,000 of those miles.  The motor was just as strong as the day I got it.  I know there are many X3s with over 15,000 miles on the motor and I know of one that went to around 40,000 miles.  That guy replaced his motor.   In stock form the Rotax motors are as solid as they come.   

I have friends with 5,000 miles or more on their Turbo XPs.  Transmissions seem to go on the Polaris long before the motors. 
Did you mean turbo instead of tune?

If so, do you know if it had cast pistons?  Or were they forged?

Thanks. 

Thanks. 
He means tune.  ALL X3s are turbo stock.  

-TJ

I too thought Yamaha did something internal when Arctic Cat put the Yami in the XX. Or maybe it was only for the XX batch of engines as the XX has more power then the YXZ. I think Nate @ Alba said the cam profile was different too?? I don’t remember. 
The XX in 18 had the snowmobile version of cams but not the GYTR stuff. Late 19-20 Yamaha started shipping all the engines with the GYTR rod and I thought pistons too.

The cams and intake design on the XX are really the major items that make it sound different then the YXZ. The XX also does not have any of the EGR stuff that Weller sells block-off kits for the YXZ.

Pretty sure the extra HP is just a tuning item that came along with the minor differences from Textron XX cams, intake, exhaust... Alba's tune only adds 3-5hp at most on top, but the drivability is way better.

Thanks. 
X3 comes factory with a turbo.  My 2018 was 172hp to the crank.  I added a Whalen tune that was allegedly making 170hp to the wheels, which is around 195hp to crank.   I am not sure if the pistons are forged or cast from the factory.  Only thing I do know is the Rotax motor is super reliable.  

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks
Back