Can Am X3 Stereo

2442turborail

Reaction score
Hello duner friends!! I just picked up a 21’ X3. Super low mile, mostly stock machine. I want to put a rocking/pounding stereo in it and would like some advice as to what really sounds good. I’ve got a thumper sub in my rail (1000watt single 10” in solid box molded into Extreme car, rattles your brain) and good loud/good stereo in my RZR (single 10” sub in box between/behind seats) and would like same nice/loud bass thumping thing in the new car. I have head sets in my rail and sweet stereo and use both (love the feel of the bass pounding while hearing audio through head sets), so my plan is to do both in X3 as well so appreciate any comments to that end. I see that Rockford Fosgate makes a 2x10” under seat plus nicely mounted fronts, plus hanger back speakers for like $5k. That’s the route I’m thinking and can install myself, but wanted some opinions on whether that’s good/bad system or if for $5k I should be going to SXS stereo shop for better or….  I’m located in PHX area (Flag in summer) if stereo shop is your recommendation; not willing to travel far for install. 

Thanks for looking! Any advice will be appreciated! 

AFCDA270-C852-4E08-9CB2-8973A6FF227C.jpeg

83351718-EF01-4707-82B3-D5DF7E703BF6.jpeg

1A061170-E584-47EC-87E1-233C880D49DF.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a rockford stage 4 in my 2 seater can am x3 and it hits pretty hard and I can hear it at just about any speed.   Ive had it about 2 years its held up to the elements well.  It was already installed when I bought mine so I have no help for installer.

I do these for a living, the fosgate setup you’re looking at is well put together which makes it easy to take on for installation. They have a quick install video and tech support if you have questions. At that price point you could have a much better setup using parts from different manufacturers but as a result the install would become far more complex. 

Rockford Rocks,,,, Well worth the money.... BUT... Do yourself a favor and upgrade your battery and also install a second one... UTV stereo in AZ have the set up for you. Dont do it without installing a second battery... If your sitting around bumping tunes, you could lose power and not start the machine.

Dont ask me how I know this!!

Good luck

I do these for a living, the fosgate setup you’re looking at is well put together which makes it easy to take on for installation. They have a quick install video and tech support if you have questions. At that price point you could have a much better setup using parts from different manufacturers but as a result the install would become far more complex. 
Thank you for the advice! You got me hooked on “could have much better”! Can you give me a parts list, just main components, to dial it in like you suggested? I’m thinking the sub boxes are super important part of this; need thick and dense press-board, sealed boxes (not plastic fosgate boxes), custom built to go under seats (which BTW, space is surprisingly plentiful under the can-am seats, unlike RZR), but I don’t want to spend the time building those, so reference to someone that can provide that would be sweet (let me know if you disagree that’s important).

Happy to pay you for your time too if you really want to dial me in on parts list (just research/expert info, I can install, unless you’re in PHX?), given you do it for a living. 

Now I’m thinking I want to rattle the bolts off it! Lol. Install a bass amp dial to make it bearable while in it, but twist that up and make it slam!! Hahaha

The ‘21 canam have a sensitive voltage system the displays a battery waning in the dash when too much power is consumed. As far as a battery upgrade, I recommend a single big battery (pc1200 and a UTVINC battery hood down) vs a dual battery dual maintenance charger. Dilemma with 2 batteries is running you stereo on battery number 2 and draining it will add even more load on your charging system when the car is running. Money saved on 2 battery setups (battery he battery, tray, isolator and wiring) is much better spend on a larue alternator kit

my parts list: ssv universal (left or right) 10” sub boxes (these have more airspace) are down firing (no sand on bouncing on the sub cone) and made of fiberglass. The con is you cannot run your seats in low position 6’ + problems. Ssv does also make a low seat option that specific to under the driver seat and passenger seat but air space is lost as a result  still down firing and fiberglass for now. 

kicker kmtc9 horn compression tower speakers for the rear mated to an JL audio MX500.4 amp bridged to 250rms to 2 channels or a soundigital powersport (marine blue color) SD800.4 amp bridged 400 watts to 2 channels 

subs JL Audio 10W1 of kicker comp RT 

headunit: fosgate pmx-2, kicker kmc5 or wetsounds Mc-20 or 2 

front upper dash panel replacement (as long as you don’t have an aftermarket cage with a really low intrusion bar): fosgate, Utv stereo, and kikimoto all make these 

sub amp kicker pxa500.1, JL audio mx500.1 or fosgate tm750.1

speakers: kicker km6 or wetsounds revo 6

i listed multiple options because of availability and brand preferences 

I completely agree on upgrading the battery and I neglected to say that I have done that as well.

UTV Stereo in AZ has everything you need, speakers, pods, amps, subs, enclosures and most importantly 2nd battery kits. 

SSV Works also has great stuff and I highly recommend their 4" Kicker PODS for the factory dash location, they fit perfect, keep a stock look and sound amazing. 

Back