Can Am X3 RR Belt

Big Jim

Reaction score
I recently upgrade my stock exhaust , to a Packard exhaust system. Also added , 32” skat track paddles. Shortly after I added this to my car. My belt ripped after a couple of dune runs. I had about 65hrs on the car. I replaced it and it ripped again at 81 hrs. I only got 16hrs out of it. I’m using a OEM belt. Any suggestions ? I have gone on some extremely fast rides with my buddies sandrails. But it should last longer. Why would it be distorting the belts so fast ?

Driving style and get yourself a belt temp gauge. It will let you know when you’re abusing the belt.  

clutch could need some work. I was breaking them pretty frequently and went to get the KWI float mod done, turned out that my sheaves had cavitated and was unnecessarily wearing out belts, had to be replaced. That and like RL said, driving style... that's another reason I break a lot of belts... :kick:

I did think about my ridding style. I do push it hard when I go with a fast group. I was told to take the cover off. It would keep it cooler. It makes sense. I also started dunning in 2wd. Hopefully all that takes some stress away. Do you think I have to look into a different belt brand or a clutch upgrade , so there is no lag ?

The first time it shredded. It blew a hole in my outer housing. The 2nd belt, just shredded. 

I was told to take the cover off. It would keep it cooler. It makes sense. 
Last weekend one of the guy's in camp had some clutch issues. He took the cover off and brew out the clutches with air. He was shocked how much belt dust came out.  He then took his car up and got the clutches re-built and did not have the time to put the cover back on.  We went for one 30ish mile ride.  When he came back he went back and forth on weather to put the cover back on. 

He decided that an open cover would keep it cooler, keep the belt dust from building up and wearing out parts he just replaced.  At the last second he decided to blow the clutches out.  He was shocked how much sand came out 

It was then decided that belt dust might not be the best thing for the rollers and other moving parts it was far better then the amount of sand that came out.

The cover went back on and another guy who had blown a hole in his early on in the weekend, decided to replace his cover as well.

YMMV

Time for a clutch kit for those 32" tires.   Your clutches could probably use some TLC.  Also check to make sure you have all the rollers in your secondary.  If one of the rollers breaks your car will be a belt eating machine. 

The best think you can do is get the KWI float mod and clutch kit. The float mod helps keep the belt aligned and there clutch kits make for nice smooth power delivery.  I ran this set up on my old X3 that also had a Whalen tune and 32"  10 paddle Skat.   OEM belts are still the best in my opinion.  All the other belts do not last any longer or provide any performance benefit.  

My current X3 I am running 12 paddle Skat set up and stock clutching.  So far the belt has held up.  I have around 1,100 dunes miles on it and another 110 desert miles on the belt.  About to put another 400 desert miles on it this weekend. 

Back