Can-Am X3 paddle setup

onanysunday

Reaction score
So this thing is fun enough as a backup I wouldn't mind watching for a used set of wheels and tires. Car is a 2018 stock X3 with 172 horsepower. Running on stock bighorns the car is definitely fun in four-wheel drive and you can still get it to slide. I don't think I want to play with controllers or anything trying to bump the power in the motor. So what about a set of ss360 HPs in the rear and regular SS 360s in the front? I'm guessing 32 in? Just looking at those tires it looks like you would still have good wheel speed and the car can slide. Does anyone out there run this setup and horsepower in two-wheel drive only? Seems like at that power level four-wheel drive is better? I also assume tires that have a little less bite and more wheel speed tend to be easier on belts?

That would be a great choice.  My friend runs that set up on his 172hp car and has a blast.  He belt made made it over 3000 miles in the dunes before he snapped a belt.  We think the belt lasted that long due to running the SS360s.

If you run the SS360 front tires backwards it takes out some of the bite and allows you to slide the ass end around a lot more.  He runs in 4wd and he slides it around no problem.

I would still consider doing a basic 91 octance tune on your car.  It will make the throttle response better, give you good mid-range power, and it sets the radiator fan to come on sooner.  Just using the basic Dynojet tune makes a difference.  My last car I had a Dynojet tune initially and then when to a Whalen 170 tune.  The motor was still running strong with 8000 miles on it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same car (2018 DS 172 no tune) and run that setup except all 4 are the regular SS360's as the HP wasn't out when I bought mine.

I love it and wouldn't change a thing. And I mostly dune in 4wd but 2wd runs fine when I go there.

I have a stock 2017 XRS and run the regular SS360’s. They work awesome. Went to them after 2 seasons of stock Bighorns. 

So with the stock horsepower are you guys talking 30 or 32-in tires?

Don’t kill me for this but I have 2018 xpt and I run the standard ss360 front and rear in 32”. If I was you I would go with 32” also. It’s nice to have a little extra ground clearance on those g-outs! These tires in my opinion are the ultimate duning set up. They float nice, way easier on the belt, and just flat hook up when you need it to. They aren’t a drag tire at all. If you like to slide the car around, it’s better to run the front tires backwards for less bite when in 4wd. I leave mine standard direction and dune in 2wd to pitch the hell out of the car! Once in 4wd, it means business and sticks hard to the lines you pick. Pretty nice when you want to flat out haul the mail in the dunes!

2020 192 HP...I have the ss360 HP's in the back, normal in the front, and not turned backwards like some suggest. (32 inch)  I always drive in 4WD - just prefer it.  I'm happy and I like how they look too....Wheels - 15x10 - 5+5 Offset for the rears, and 15x8 - 4+4 Offset for the front...I wanted the 8 inch wide wheel up front vs 7. 

Oh - and i weighed these too...rears were about 1 lb heavier, fronts about 1 pound lighter.  Method wheels...with their "bead grip" - seems like a good alternative and less weight than a true bead lock after reading about them.

Dog photo bomb. ha

image.png

Last edited by a moderator:
standard 360 is fine mad my front 360 buffed to a 4" wide mohawk. they work great

2020 192 HP...I have the ss360 HP's in the back, normal in the front, and not turned backwards like some suggest. (32 inch)  I always drive in 4WD - just prefer it.  I'm happy and I like how they look too....Wheels - 15x10 - 5+5 Offset for the rears, and 15x8 - 4+4 Offset for the front...I wanted the 8 inch wide wheel up front vs 7. 

Oh - and i weighed these too...rears were about 1 lb heavier, fronts about 1 pound lighter.  Method wheels...with their "bead grip" - seems like a good alternative and less weight than a true bead lock after reading about them.

Dog photo bomb. ha

View attachment 25693
Those grip lock wheels are no joke.  I broke a wheel in Glamis and had to buy some of those method wheels to get through the trip.  It was a royal pain in the ass to get my paddle tires off those Method wheels.

I do notice when turning hard to get the car to slide then as you bring the steering back to center it takes quite a bit of muscle. This is with the bighorns. Will this get a little easier with the 360s?

And is there different options to look at for front tire size? Think I read on one of the Can AM forums 10" wheels in the rear and 7 or 8" wide in the front.

And is there different options to look at for front tire size? Think I read on one of the Can AM forums 10" wheels in the rear and 7 or 8" wide in the front.
7" or 8" wide for the front is fine.  I run a 7" wide wheel on my X3.  

You will find the SS360s slide around a lot easier than the Big Horns. 

Back