Calculating Sandrail and Dune Buggy Coilover Rates

That's a really great video thanks for sharing! 

I have a question. I remember trying to set ride height on my car and when we would jack the car up and let it back down it wasn't fully compressing down, the tires were dragging and keeping the car up. We would have to work the suspension up and down a little bit to get the suspension to settle. I'm wondering if that messes with the calculations? The car I was working on was a five link so maybe it's a non-issue with the standard trailing arm car?

I have a question. I remember trying to set ride height on my car and when we would jack the car up and let it back down it wasn't fully compressing down, the tires were dragging and keeping the car up. We would have to work the suspension up and down a little bit to get the suspension to settle. I'm wondering if that messes with the calculations? The car I was working on was a five link so maybe it's a non-issue with the standard trailing arm car?
FYI that is not me in the video. But i personally use to drive my vehicle and hit the brakes a few times to get the car to settle and get ride height measurements. You can leave a comment on Dougs youtube video and im sure he will respond. 

comment on the video 

[SIZE=20.8px]"[/SIZE]Great video. One edit: The spring rate calc is close, but the true formula is:

Upper Rate x Bottom Rate
——————————————
Upper Rate + Bottom Rate

In your case, it’s pretty close (261.9) For something like a 450/250 combo, it would be off by 14in-lbs (160.71 vs 175)."

comment on the video 

[SIZE=20.8px]"[/SIZE]Great video. One edit: The spring rate calc is close, but the true formula is:

Upper Rate x Bottom Rate
——————————————
Upper Rate + Bottom Rate

In your case, it’s pretty close (261.9) For something like a 450/250 combo, it would be off by 14in-lbs (160.71 vs 175)."
Beat me to posting that here as well (it was my comment).

Trailing arm will have less of an issue with this so long as it isn't in gear as a trailing arm will primarily move fore/aft as the suspension cycles, where a 5-link will move both fore/aft AND in/out (requiring some scrub to be overcome).  

Back