Brake Set-Up

Stinky

Reaction score
I am working on an old-school street-legal buggy.  It is on a shortened pan.  The front brake hoses are shot and the Master Cylinder is shot also.  It has drums all the way around.

I am going to change the rear Wheel Cylinders to 7/8" (stock is 3/4").  I want to increase the braking power on my large rear tires.   I want to avoid using a proportioning valve...never used one.  It had cutting brakes and I think they are coming off (not sure that I want them on the road).

Here are the Qs:

Should I change the size of the front WCs to 3/4" (the fronts are 7/8" stock, rear 3/4 stock).  I am thinking that might be an improvement.

I see that the Master Cylinder is available w/3/4" and 7/8" pistons.  I think that 3/4" is the way to go.  I can also swap in a dual MC, but it would be a Disc brake MC.  They come in 3/4 and 7/8.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you trying to reduce front brake pressure? Cause that’s what you are doing by making the front WC smaller but you are thinking right on increasing the rear WC size

Correct....

I was thinking....that the big rear tires can use more braking power (due to their increased weight, and traction)  the front less (if they lock, they will kick up rocks).  But, now, I am thinking of just increasing the rear's strength.

Sounds good. But it’s not cause of traction or weight. It’s the larger diameter you are overcoming. Think of the larger tire as a longer torque wrench.  The same brakes now need to have more pressure to overcome the “ longer torque wrench”

Any thoughts on a dual master cylinder?

Back