BMW sandcar

Okie

Reaction score
I saw a BMW powered sandcar in a ad several years ago. I can't seem to find it now. Does anybody know of any? I am trying to find out how to adapt a transaxle, and what kind, to a BMW N20 engine. Kennedy says they only make one for a 2002 1.6L and 3.0L. And those are only for VW trannies.

There was an AG Sandcars with a BMW V-12 with twin turbos. Is that the one you're talking about?

@Scotty had a BMW V12 in his car but it was too expensive once broken so he went back to a V8

I don't think the one I am thinking of was a V12, but it has been a while. Right now, I am leaning towards the turbocharged 4 cylinder. Although time consuming,  I could make my own adapter/flywheel, but I would need the transaxle first. Which seems "out of reach" at the moment! I really doubt Scotty's engine exploded because of poor BMW quality. I am just considering doing something different from the usual.

@Scotty had a BMW V12 in his car but it was too expensive once broken so he went back to a V8
Actually, at that time you could pick up a used engine on Ebay motors for about $1200 with entire harness and trans. The entire car in running condition often sold as low as $2,000, since they were ultra expensive to get repaired at the dealer nobody wanted a used one. I think he felt it was just easier/more common to go with an LS engine. Didn't he also switch from race gas to pump gas in the process? That also saves a lot of money.

I don't think the one I am thinking of was a V12, but it has been a while. Right now, I am leaning towards the turbocharged 4 cylinder. Although time consuming,  I could make my own adapter/flywheel, but I would need the transaxle first. Which seems "out of reach" at the moment! I really doubt Scotty's engine exploded because of poor BMW quality. I am just considering doing something different from the usual.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was damaged while getting dyno tuned. That particular car was run on the dyno more than any other car I know of. I don't know how many people owned it before Scottie bought it, but everyone who owned it before him had it retuned multiple times.

I came across a cool looking Pantera transaxle, but I think they might be as expensive as a Weddle, etc. But would definitely be "out of the ordinary"!

As I recall Scotty made a coffee table from the engine after it went BOOM 
Yep! I swapped his car to an LS and dropped the V12 block off with @Stugotsto clean it before it became furniture.

Didn't @CBM Bruce have a V12 in his Mosebilt or some other car?

Yep! I swapped his car to an LS and dropped the V12 block off with @Stugotsto clean it before it became furniture.

Didn't @CBM Bruce have a V12 in his Mosebilt or some other car?
Bruce had a V12, but not in a Mosebilt. I think his BMW car was part of a trade. Pretty sure it blew up. 

I'm pretty sure Steve Dose in El Cajon built the bmw v12. I remember seeing that buggy at his shop back in the day. As I recall he was quite proud of it. I think bmw's are a bit too finicky for off road.

I do have a vid of Scotty doing a wheelie in that car somewhere. Looked last night and can't find it. I just watched it within the last couple of weeks.  :bangin:

Back