Blaster vs Raptor 250 WTB

endobear

Reaction score
My 11 year old twins have outgrown their lt80s.  They ride about 50% dunes 50% trail.

Should I look at Blasters or try to find a couple Raptor 250s? Pros and cons? Or just move them up to 400cc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to have a pair of built lt80s for sale after October 18th

20210328_193047.jpg

My son started on the Raptor 250 at 9 and loved it. They pick up the clutch in about an hour or so....It was an AWESOME bike for both boys. There is NO DOWNSIDE on a raptor 250.....even if they only use them for a season or two you will recoupe your $$$$$$

Best 250s out there!

:poule:

I would do the Raptor 250

had Blasters in the past always a pia to keep running friends who have had the 250’s no problems just my 2 cents

I used to have 6 quads (family of 6) .. and we had a 200cc 2-Stroke Blaster for a short while.. literally only put maybe 5 tanks of gas through it, before I sold it..., cause I could never get the kids to ride it. It's like 3/4 size quad (compared to a 450 lets say).. The thing with it is I could keep up with 450s, but you have to keep that one in the power band at all times. I'd shift several times just in one dune. I think it's a 6 speed, with a tight gear ratio or something.

It has plenty of mustard if it's in the power band, but if your kid isn't proficient at shifting, it could be a challenge.

My $.02

abc

Last edited by a moderator:
my son ran a 250 for a couple of seasons transiting from a 90 until he couldn't get up Brawley and we moved him up to a 450. My 210lb butt made it up freeway/test (whatever ppl call it) hill in Gordens on it pretty easy with glider paddle, I was surprised how well that little 250 ran. Like most Yamahas it runs high strung but has plenty of power imo.

If your on a budget, the Blaster is a fun machine. I'm a fan of teaching the kids the way we were taught. It has to be kick started and has a clutch. None of this sissy electric start, etc. lol

If money isn't a consideration then the Raptor is a better ride. 

Thanks for the responses. 

I've ridden a couple of blasters. They are a hoot.  But you gotta make em sing. I've also watched a buddies wife smoke 2 motors and my sister smoke one the same weekend In Glamis.

Suspension always left me wanting more.

I'm a 2 stroke guy. So I like that. Kids have a pretty aggressive riding style. I'm sure the shifting in the power band will come quickly.

I'm sure a raptor 250 will handle better. Plus be better with some trails we might do. They are pricey and hard to come by in Colorado.

Decided to go with the Raptor 250s.

Picked one up locally near Denver but having a hard time finding another. 

Have family in the Phoenix and Southern California areas that can help me out so im expanding my search.

Anyone have or know of one for sale?

Back