Big Boy cant fit....Options?

JBL

Reaction score
Picked up my first sand car.  (early build Sand Cars Unlimited) and some of you may know they are built on the narrow side for VW motors. Well my son is short and stout cause he's a body builder and can fit super duper snug in passenger side, and snug in back bucket seat.  But when he gets into driver seat, steering wheel is touching his thighs and he feels too cramped to really be able to drive.  Shifting gears will be difficult but doable. 

Its a bummer but he will ride his dirtbike and passenger but I know he really would like to also drive it.  I would like to see if there were any way you guys might have done for bigger drivers.  Thanks!

rob1.jpg

rob2.jpg

I had the same issue with my car. I had my pedals moved forward about 6 inches and it helped tremendously. 

Looks like a clamp on steering shaft mount, loosen the bolts and tilt it up. I usually have to do the same thing, but in the other direction 🤔 short guy problems 😂

Thanks guys,  cant lower seat and steering column is fixed.  I have to bring pedals even closer as we are all just 5'7   Lucky for me I am 20 miles to KarTek and will see if they have that adjustable steering column.

Thanks guys,  cant lower seat and steering column is fixed.  I have to bring pedals even closer as we are all just 5'7   Lucky for me I am 20 miles to KarTek and will see if they have that adjustable steering column.
Steering column is adjustable...  Just with tools.  Grab some wrenches, loosen the bolts, rotate the wheel, tighten.

Had a similar problem with an SU Ultralight, had the drivers seat mounts lowered to where they extended down under the frame. I was concerned with clearance but it was never an issue. 

Congrats on the rail!  Now let's see some pictures of the rail. 

Steering column is adjustable...  Just with tools.  Grab some wrenches, loosen the bolts, rotate the wheel, tighten.
Thanks this is working....now gotta Tube how to bend brake and clutch lines.

Thanks this is working....now gotta Tube how to bend brake and clutch lines.
If you don't buy the tool, use something on the inner circumference to brace the line as you bend it, like a piece of pipe.  Highly probable you'll kink it just using your hands...

If you don't buy the tool, use something on the inner circumference to brace the line as you bend it, like a piece of pipe.  Highly probable you'll kink it just using your hands...
Thanks watched several vid and found using a large socket works and it def did the job.  Not the prettiest but its done lol.

Back