Best trailer tires? Double axle flatbed

Conrad

Reaction score
Best trailer tires? Double axle flatbed Hauling an old school 4 seat VW sand car and a couple of ATC90s. What tire/brand do you recommend? 

I've had good luck with BFG Commercials on my 27' toy hauler and 19' flatbed car hauler.  I run 225/75R16 E-rated on both. I'm about 11k wet on the toy hauler and haven't had any unusual tread wear or cracking.  From what you are describing you probably in the 4k-5k range so you could probably run a D or less due to dual axles.

On an open flatbed I would say affordable and replace at 4 years. I have BFG commercials on my box trailer only because I was able to replace the 4 that blew out for 26 bucks. I have had other ST tires and they all blow up after 4 years. I have heard real good things about Sailun tire. My dad runs them on his massive 5th wheel he towes back and forth to Oregon. When my BFG bombs hit 4 years I'm going to give them a try.

i replaced the old 14" wheels on my flatbed with some 16's off a crown vic and i run lt245/75/16 tires as they are the most common tire out there and can be found easily everywhere typically.

Reactions: MWB
I have been going with the cheap tires on my flatbed and have not had any issues.   Just plan on changing them out every 2-4 years. 

With some shortages on rubber you might not have many choices available on trailer tires right now.  

Reactions: MWB
Buy what ever is a popular size or that is on your tow vehicle even. Change them out after 5 years no matter the miles.  This is where the piece of mind people come in who spend top dollar for a tire that they will throw in the dumpster in 5 years that still has the tits on it and tell us about high dollar tires. Buy cheap and common and save the piece of mind while you toss them out before they even get worn. 

Now if you were professionally towing the trailer thousands of miles a year, then spend the $$ but for a few trips to the dunes a year no sense in spending one dollar more than you absolutely have to, they will be just fine.

Buy what ever is a popular size or that is on your tow vehicle even. Change them out after 5 years no matter the miles.  This is where the piece of mind people come in who spend top dollar for a tire that they will throw in the dumpster in 5 years that still has the tits on it and tell us about high dollar tires. Buy cheap and common and save the piece of mind while you toss them out before they even get worn. 

Now if you were professionally towing the trailer thousands of miles a year, then spend the $$ but for a few trips to the dunes a year no sense in spending one dollar more than you absolutely have to, they will be just fine.
This is exactly what the tire person said.  Even when I changed out my tires on my motorhome.  

200.gif

I just went to the cheapest E-rated 225/75R15s on mine.  Way overkill for a 7000lb trailer, but overkill is probably barely sufficient on China bombs.  Been 3 years with zero issues going this route even with a Jeep doing 70+ at 120*F.  Replacing end of this season just to be safe.

I purchased these 14-ply Libra Gremax trailer tires for my dump bed trailer. Great product and the cheapest price I could find. Couldn't believe how quickly they arrived. Will definitely purchase tires for my 3 other trailers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back