Best tool for cutting braided hose?

Five.five-six

Reaction score
I’m installing a new engine soon and will need to be making up a lot of hoses.  I’m not using stainless ever again.. perhaps coated stainless braided but for now it’s nylon braided hose, -8 for fuel and -10 for oil

I already bought this for putting them together, but what is the best tool for cutting the hose?

Look up a video on YouTube for braided hose cutting. Use a sharp chisel on aluminum or brass block. Smack the hose with a sledge hammer for a clean cut. I've been doing the electrical tape and cut off wheel thing for years and found the chisel method a year ago. Works great. I also use the Khoul Tools ended for assembly. 

I you use a cut off wheel just make sure to clean it out real good. The wheel leave behind small debris that you don’t want contaminating whatever you’re putting through the hoses. It really is the easiest way IMO. 

I put a hose clamp on the hose and then use a cutoff wheel. put the clamp in a vice and cut right up against the clamp makes a very clean cut and keeps the hose from fraying. 

The biggest thing is you have to use tape, you can add a hose clamp to also help you make a straight cut. You can use many different types of tools for the cut. A new hacksaw blade would even work. A cut off wheel on a grinder or possibly a Dremel.

Look up a video on YouTube for braided hose cutting. Use a sharp chisel on aluminum or brass block. Smack the hose with a sledge hammer for a clean cut. I've been doing the electrical tape and cut off wheel thing for years and found the chisel method a year ago. Works great. I also use the Khoul Tools ended for assembly. 
What he said^^^...Works well on smaller hoses. Not so sure about 16 and above

You can also use a metal chop saw.  Set the saw on a bench (good working height) for several cuts, works great.  Use the tape same as for a cutoff wheel, and be sure to clean the hose out well afterward!

I used a smaller version of those cutters shown @ Summit & they were too cheap to do a good job.

Ive tried the chizzle & hammer trick & am just to big of a Kitty Cat for that.

I use Electrical tape & die grinder with cut of wheel.  move slowly through it & it cuts great.  slide the end right over the tape & then unwrap it. 

What he said^^^...Works well on smaller hoses. Not so sure about 16 and above
I’m using -8 for fuel and -10 for oil, it’s a VW.  I’m thinking I’m going to use -12 for the fuel pressure regulator return ……. Try and reduce bubbles and aeration. 

Back