Best Places to Live in Phoenix area if you are a Duner / Car person / Like freedom and Land ...

Fullthrottleguy

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
While you cannot beat the weather where i live in the South bay, I cannot say I am as happy in CA anymore.  I have a lucrative opportunity in the PHX area, and this one might just get me to escape. 

But I really need advice.   I have a friend that moved to Fountain Hills in 2020, and the place is fantastic, although its not RV friendly from what I have seen and its a bit pricey for AZ (And I know prices are getting crazy in AZ right now...)

I am used to having shop and a house and a pool - and that pretty much what I want if I move.   I had a 2nd Place in Lake Havasu and it had a 30x70 RV garage  and that was OK as well, but not the land I really want.   But I don't see anything even  like that in the PHX area, and everything with reasonable "land" seems to have bad crime statistics.  I know there is off roading in the area, and I know lots of GD'rs live there ... so I must be missing it.

Its hard enough that I would have to find new places like Kartek  and off road sources - Any help is appreciated 

I have sold a lot of property in the Rio Verde / North Scottsdale area. A little more rural with one plus acre lots but not quite the price tag being closer in Scottsdale. That area is very close to Fountain Hills. McDowell mountain regional Park which is  21,000 acres borders Fountain hills to the West and Rio Verde area to the South. Hiking biking and horseback only in that Park but beautiful. Desert hills is a little bit closer into town although North Phoenix and rural as well. A lot more shopping closer to that area. But still desert hills you don't feel like you have 4.6 million people next door which you do in a lot of other areas. Both areas are great for the setup you mentioned. I have sold several homes in the last couple years with 2,000 give or take square foot garages in those areas. Certainly homes come up that fit that bill. Also some new builders that build with RV garages. One of my builders I work with is excellent and can build a full custom if you wanted to go that route. He is buried though right now probably at least a year and a half out before he would look at any new projects.

@Squatcher lives in North Phoenix and has a great lot with a pool, RV garage, room for a 70 track and more. Its off Carefree hwy and 7th. 1+ acre lots. Have another friend that bought a 1 acre lot and is building a new home in the same area. He works in downtown PHX and says the commute is not bad.

Im moving in next to @Squatcher   I love it there!!!!

@Squatcher lives in North Phoenix and has a great lot with a pool, RV garage, room for a 70 track and more. Its off Carefree hwy and 7th. 1+ acre lots. Have another friend that bought a 1 acre lot and is building a new home in the same area. He works in downtown PHX and says the commute is not bad.
I guess I am really gonna check that out when I am out there in 2 weeks.  I will be working in Scottsdale - hopefully I can keep the commute under 45 minutes.  I have been doing 31 miles in LA traffic lately   - thats 1:15 in the morning and 1:30 hours  coming home  - I am sick of that already 

We bought a house in surprise az and love it. We are over a hour closer to Glamis and Vegas than our friends in Gilbert. Plus you can still kinda pay Arizona prices on the west side. 

I moved to AZ from Costa Mesa CA in 2004, I'm familiar with all cities. I'm currently searching for a similar property for a CA client, in SE Gilbert and Queen Creek. Large properties, from double wides to mansions in this area. ET Motopark, plus tons of off roading nearby. A commute into Scottsdale, as you mentioned, might suck (i used to drive that stretch) as there's major congestion at the 101/60 interchange. It would depend on time of day, and whether or not your work is in NORTH or SOUTH Scottsdale. North Phoenix, Cave Creek or Carefree have amazing properties as well, so depending on the commute time? 

I started in Surprise, then Arcadia and finally landed in Gilbert. I prefer the east valley, AND the drive to Glamis on the 8 vs the 10. The 8 has waaaaaaay less big rig traffic and less traffic overall. From Gilbert it's the same amount of time either freeway, just waaaaaay less stress on the 8. 

Disagree about the 8 vs 10 comparison for getting to Glamis.

I used to take the 8 all the time, agree that it is less stress, but taking the 10 is faster by 30 mins for me.

Plus going up Ogilby will destroy any trailer suspension you may have.

If you work in Scottsdale and want property close to work, you are going to pay out the nose for something like that.

For decent price, you are going to have to go on the outskirts of town, in any direction, and then have a commute.

Working in Scottsdale and keeping it to a 30 minute commute leaves you a big area to look into depending on what part of Scottsdale you are working in, The city is like 5 miles wide and 30 miles long. Also if your going in early before 6am and leaving work before 3pm  that would widen your search to 40 miles from your work. 

I have worked all over the valley for years and have commuted to every inch at some point, Hell today I drove from Sky Harbor to Queen Creek to Maricopa and back to SH in less than 4 hours.

With Friends in Fountain Hills I would be looking where On Any Sunday mentioned North Scottsdale, Rio Verde, If you stay North you can go all the way across to where Squatcher(7th & Carefree)  is and even further west out by Melon (75th Ave Happy Valley???). Even if you go East of the 101 on the 202 Red Mountain. You can find what your looking for. your probably looking close to your commute time though.

The I-10 I-8 debate is just that debatable.. From my house it is 5 miles further to GDS via I-8 but if I can leave my house before 2pm it takes the same amount of time.  Now that the 202 South Mountain is open I can miss downtown Phx, If I leave after 2pm from home and it's gong to work out even time wise even though it's more miles. As far as the I-8 being more stress free. It might be lower stress but man the five mile longer drives like it is 50 miles further.

Working in Scottsdale and keeping it to a 30 minute commute leaves you a big area to look into depending on what part of Scottsdale you are working in, The city is like 5 miles wide and 30 miles long. Also if your going in early before 6am and leaving work before 3pm  that would widen your search to 40 miles from your work. 

I have worked all over the valley for years and have commuted to every inch at some point, Hell today I drove from Sky Harbor to Queen Creek to Maricopa and back to SH in less than 4 hours.

With Friends in Fountain Hills I would be looking where On Any Sunday mentioned North Scottsdale, Rio Verde, If you stay North you can go all the way across to where Squatcher(7th & Carefree)  is and even further west out by Melon (75th Ave Happy Valley???). Even if you go East of the 101 on the 202 Red Mountain. You can find what your looking for. your probably looking close to your commute time though.

The I-10 I-8 debate is just that debatable.. From my house it is 5 miles further to GDS via I-8 but if I can leave my house before 2pm it takes the same amount of time.  Now that the 202 South Mountain is open I can miss downtown Phx, If I leave after 2pm from home and it's gong to work out even time wise even though it's more miles. As far as the I-8 being more stress free. It might be lower stress but man the five mile longer drives like it is 50 miles further.
One benefit to the 8, if your a south duner, is the miles you have to tow in CA. From the border to Gordon's is way shorter than Blythe to The beach store.

Great Feedback everyone  - Going to check all these areas next week and then if all goes well - get engaged and do some serious searching

Give me a call 6025703474.  I live in Desert Hills. I love it out here.  I personally like this part of town.  close to Lakes, easy drive to the dunes taking the 60, close to flagstaff and Prescott.  depending on Scottsdale 20 to 45 mins depends on north end of Scottsdale or south. Airport is 40 min away.  downtown is also about 40 min.  There are sand rails in half the garages out here.  Crown king rides from the house if you want. Shooting, boating etc.  we have it all.  House you are looking for around here is 650k to 1.4mil.  Foddrills is only 30 mins away(kartek like) plenty of fab guys, tuners, Kevin McMullen, and az transaxle, etc. Biggest outdoor shooting facility I think in the country. Tons of duners within a 3 mile radius.  Costco Diesel is 2.69 still. Also Pinnacle peak and 99th ave has acre places as described

Give me a call 6025703474.  I live in Desert Hills. I love it out here.  I personally like this part of town.  close to Lakes, easy drive to the dunes taking the 60, close to flagstaff and Prescott.  depending on Scottsdale 20 to 45 mins depends on north end of Scottsdale or south. Airport is 40 min away.  downtown is also about 40 min.  There are sand rails in half the garages out here.  Crown king rides from the house if you want. Shooting, boating etc.  we have it all.  House you are looking for around here is 650k to 1.4mil.  Foddrills is only 30 mins away(kartek like) plenty of fab guys, tuners, Kevin McMullen, and az transaxle, etc. Biggest outdoor shooting facility I think in the country. Tons of duners within a 3 mile radius.  Costco Diesel is 2.69 still. Also Pinnacle peak and 99th ave has acre places as described.  Get with Kurtis (onanysunday) we have worked together on many homes before. 

I’ve been building a lot of custom house pads out in north Peoria area.  It’s very nice out there, everything is newer and there are lots of acre plus communities. I’m in south Gilbert and I get to Pinnacle Peak rd and 99th ave in an hour during rush hour. Scottsdale would be 30 minutes. 

Disagree about the 8 vs 10 comparison for getting to Glamis.

I used to take the 8 all the time, agree that it is less stress, but taking the 10 is faster by 30 mins for me.

Plus going up Ogilby will destroy any trailer suspension you may have.

If you work in Scottsdale and want property close to work, you are going to pay out the nose for something like that.

For decent price, you are going to have to go on the outskirts of town, in any direction, and then have a commute.
i take the 8 and leave the trailer in gds wallmart in yuma and gas 

Give me a call 6025703474.  I live in Desert Hills. I love it out here.  I personally like this part of town.  close to Lakes, easy drive to the dunes taking the 60, close to flagstaff and Prescott.  depending on Scottsdale 20 to 45 mins depends on north end of Scottsdale or south. Airport is 40 min away.  downtown is also about 40 min.  There are sand rails in half the garages out here.  Crown king rides from the house if you want. Shooting, boating etc.  we have it all.  House you are looking for around here is 650k to 1.4mil.  Foddrills is only 30 mins away(kartek like) plenty of fab guys, tuners, Kevin McMullen, and az transaxle, etc. Biggest outdoor shooting facility I think in the country. Tons of duners within a 3 mile radius.  Costco Diesel is 2.69 still. Also Pinnacle peak and 99th ave has acre places as described
I will give you a call tomorrow- thanks

What you're describing sounds like Glendale or North Phoenix. Gilbert if you want to do east valley.  They have that stuff inner city, but its all $$$$$.

Im in Glendale and love it here.  All the lots are acre.  Large shops and space everywhere.  Bulk trash pickup once a month!  LOL

We moved last year from fullerton to peoria,Wanted to be on west side to get out of town easier and so far its been a constant 4 hrs to get to glamis 208 miles now vs 200 before.Fueling up i do in ehernburg then go to glamis fuel back up 30 min past quartzite.

Plus it works out good here lake about 30 min away,shooting in desert 25 min away,There are larger lots in northern part of town and some in glendale too.For off road supplies fodderils is pretty good.And river is alot closer parker about 2.5 hrs.So far when i am home i enjoy getting out around here think scottsdale is a 30-40 min drive,Suggest you come out look around and go from there.

Back