Best Break in oil

ChasingSand

Reaction score
What do you guys think is the best break in oil on the market today? Any recommendations? FWIW this will be used in a J35A4. 

I checked them out. My only issue is they only offer a straight 30 weight and the Honda calls for 5w-20. Will this cause any issues?

Not for the breakin period. Don’t leave the breakin oil in there for an extended period of time. Roller lifter motors don’t kneed a long breakin. 

I always ask the builder/machinist what they recommend. If its a rebuilt HiPo engine the clearances may be different. For LS engines I build  I used the Comp Cams Break in oil - early on it was not good - but now it seems to be the best  also Joe Gibbs is expensive but really good - Both come in 5w-30, 20w-50 and 30wt

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Lucas 20-50 break in oil for my LS builds.  I also have a oil system priming tank.  My current engine is a LS2 stroker with a Magnacharger MP-122H super charger.  After it was built it sat for two years.  This was concerning so I bought the priming tank.  It was simple to hook up and worked great and the oil pressure gauge was showing 45 psi without the engine running.  

Lucas break in oil Kartek

Screenshot_20200203-034543_Chrome.jpg

20200205_191748.jpg

I use Lucas 20-50 break in oil for my LS builds.  I also have a oil system priming tank.  My current engine is a LS2 stroker with a Magnacharger MP-122H super charger.  After it was built it sat for two years.  This was concerning so I bought the priming tank.  It was simple to hook up and worked great and the oil pressure gauge was showing 45 psi without the engine running.  

Lucas break in oil Kartek

View attachment 4530

View attachment 4529
I think I am going to need to go this route as the motor was a OEM crate short block and is brand new, but could have been assembled 5-15 years ago.

I checked them out. My only issue is they only offer a straight 30 weight and the Honda calls for 5w-20. Will this cause any issues?
The bearing specs on these engines didn't change through the various models and updates, just oil weight.  This to slightly increase mileage.  The earlier ones spec'd 10w/30, and what I'd use in a sandcar.  I'd go through a couple heat cycles to get all the "peanut butter" out of it, then change it. 

Comically, per Honda the break-in procedure says to avoid full throttle starts for the first 600 miles.  Guess it's ok to bang the limiter on start up after that.

The bearing specs on these engines didn't change through the various models and updates, just oil weight.  This to slightly increase mileage.  The earlier ones spec'd 10w/30, and what I'd use in a sandcar.  I'd go through a couple heat cycles to get all the "peanut butter" out of it, then change it. 

Comically, per Honda the break-in procedure says to avoid full throttle starts for the first 600 miles.  Guess it's ok to bang the limiter on start up after that.
Thanks Brandon! 

I think I am going to need to go this route as the motor was a OEM crate short block and is brand new, but could have been assembled 5-15 years ago.
You're more than welcome to borrow it. The engine doesn't need to be installed to use it, just fully assembled.

Thanks Jeff! I really appreciate that! I will call you once I get closer to that point.

Back