Best alternative to replace Turbo Subi 2.5

JBL

Reaction score
So the Scrooge took away my job last Christmas.  My motor was already at Outfront when I had to tell John to stop everything with the repairs we had planned.  My season is done anyways, so I was wondering what options you gents recommend?  I have one trip on my rebuilt 091 from Dave Folts before the engine let go.  I can either wait till  I land a new gig then continue with Outfront work, or since I have down time, can weld, and work on most engines except Subaru. What do you guys think.  My car was ripping the dunes with race gas and I've seen an ecotech NA push a heavy car and it did ok.  But I will not be happy with N/A!!!  Im not heavy footed, no wheelies, no drag racing just spirited duning so Im ok with 091.  My ECU is a Stinger for right now.   :popcorn:

Your gonna get a lot of 3.5 Honda 

Kennedy adapter, pressure plate and clutch 

order any eBay 3.5 Honda after market header and cross over exhaust system 

there’s a board member that makes factory modified harness for factory computer 

junk yard 3.5 

a lot of knowledge on this forum 

I did the swap to Honda before. Pretty straightforward as long as you can do the fab work yourself. What about finding a jdm Subi motor and seeing if you can lower the boost down to a level that a stock block can handle? Might be less labor intensive while you wait to have john rebuild your current motor. 

If you are low on funds, then the Subie is the best way to go. VW's are way too expensive now. Just rebuild your motor at a lower HP and get it running. If your lower end went bad, buy a cheap 2.5 JDM and bolt all your stuff on it and go! Starting new with any new motor type will be more expensive. Plus your 091 will not like a V6, therefore costing you more $$$ down the road. 

Your gonna get a lot of 3.5 Honda 

Kennedy adapter, pressure plate and clutch 

order any eBay 3.5 Honda after market header and cross over exhaust system 

there’s a board member that makes factory modified harness for factory computer 

junk yard 3.5 

a lot of knowledge on this forum 
:sraptor:

Honda will eat up that 091, I would stick with a Subie.  If you can find a used motor cheap, just transfer all the parts over and rock it.  I have done it a few times with a Subie, it is an one day swap.

Honda will eat up that 091, I would stick with a Subie.  If you can find a used motor cheap, just transfer all the parts over and rock it.  I have done it a few times with a Subie, it is an one day swap.
He could do a 3.0.

ETA...The 3.0 engine can usually be found a couple hundred bucks cheaper than the 3.5 because of it's not as popular.

Last edited by a moderator:
Talk to Andy about the Honda 4 banger with a turbo.  His set up in his little blue Funco scoots pretty good and he has a 091 in it.   He is running maybe 10lbs of boost, but does have it tuned for E85.  I think he does not have a lot of money into the motor. 

Talk to Andy about the Honda 4 banger with a turbo.  His set up in his little blue Funco scoots pretty good and he has a 091 in it.   He is running maybe 10lbs of boost, but does have it tuned for E85.  I think he does not have a lot of money into the motor. 
K series Honda on 10psi will make about 400whp if set up correctly.  A lot less torque (probably 260wtq), so easier on the trans, but you'll need to rev it to the moon (8000rpm ish) with little mercy to truly enjoy it.  Beyond 400whp, they really need a lot of work to be reliable though, so don't give in to temptation. :biggrin:

But, K series swap isn't exactly cheap (turbo K series with you doing most of the work will still be $4-5k just in motor/accessories/ECU/tuning).  B series are all ancient now, so unless you're going with a new build ($$$, and not as good as a K anyway), it's gonna be crusty. 

Or J35.  Won't make 400whp (maybe 300 in a buggy) without boost, but they put them in MINIVANS, so life in a buggy will likely be a relief for the poor thing.  Nothing is floored more on cold oil than a minivan... :biggrin:

K series Honda on 10psi will make about 400whp if set up correctly.  A lot less torque (probably 260wtq), so easier on the trans, but you'll need to rev it to the moon (8000rpm ish) with little mercy to truly enjoy it.  Beyond 400whp, they really need a lot of work to be reliable though, so don't give in to temptation. :biggrin:

But, K series swap isn't exactly cheap (turbo K series with you doing most of the work will still be $4-5k just in motor/accessories/ECU/tuning).  B series are all ancient now, so unless you're going with a new build ($$$, and not as good as a K anyway), it's gonna be crusty. 

Or J35.  Won't make 400whp (maybe 300 in a buggy) without boost, but they put them in MINIVANS, so life in a buggy will likely be a relief for the poor thing.  Nothing is floored more on cold oil than a minivan... :biggrin:
His Honda scoots in the Funco Gen 2.  It is definitely on the mild side for hp, which is what he was going for with the car.  He big hp Honda is going in his other Funco that he is currently doing a complete makeover. 

I think he paid $1,200 for the motor and then he sourced the parts to put together the turbo.  He did the wiring harness and I believe is using a Haltech ECU and dash. 

His Honda scoots in the Funco Gen 2.  It is definitely on the mild side for hp, which is what he was going for with the car.  He big hp Honda is going in his other Funco that he is currently doing a complete makeover. 

I think he paid $1,200 for the motor and then he sourced the parts to put together the turbo.  He did the wiring harness and I believe is using a Haltech ECU and dash. 
Yeah, completely forgot: you can always re-use the Scooby's turbo.

When the second Gen Odyssey came out and had the J series, one of the most common complaints was about fuel economy.   Dad would bring it in bitching that it is only getting like 12 mpg.  Uh, yeah.  It's got 10k miles on it and the front tires are bald too.  Wanna guess why?  Momma is always late for something...

I know of 4 j35a4's with 091's in our group. You CAN make the trans live if you drive smart. You CAN take it out if you want as well. But for most part they do live for a few seasons without issue. 

It's the same fence LS 2d cars run.

Last edited by a moderator:
When the second Gen Odyssey came out and had the J series, one of the most common complaints was about fuel economy.   Dad would bring it in bitching that it is only getting like 12 mpg.  Uh, yeah.  It's got 10k miles on it and the front tires are bald too.  Wanna guess why?  Momma is always late for something...
Yep. Fridays I drop the kids off/pick them up from school… 

I’ve driven in the Middle East during a war, I’ve been to Italy, I’ve raced professionally in door slammer series, I’ve been to Olds during Camp RZR… Nothing has me on edge more than the immediate area around that school. I’ve been passed by a mom in a suburban going the wrong way in my Jeep in the parking lot where the busses drop kids off. 

Yep. Fridays I drop the kids off/pick them up from school… 

I’ve driven in the Middle East during a war, I’ve been to Italy, I’ve raced professionally in door slammer series, I’ve been to Olds during Camp RZR… Nothing has me on edge more than the immediate area around that school. I’ve been passed by a mom in a suburban going the wrong way in my Jeep in the parking lot where the busses drop kids off. 
Two scariest places to drive are schools at drop off/pick up time and all you can eat buffet parking lots where the old people go.  

Back