Bell housing question, my first ls

lardass

Reaction score
My first car with a "ls" style bellhousing and clutch.  Do I make plates and try to seal off from sand?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that ebay one. Or is it better to leave it open so it can clean out?

I have no problem making a plate-sealing it up.  I that the correct thing to do? Or let sand in and out?

An OEM closeout plate will work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no problem making a plate-sealing it up.  I that the correct thing to do? Or let sand in and out?
I have always closed them - I think if its open it is too easy to get stuck and back out the pack sand there which would be bad 

Definitely seal it off! I even used silicone on mine. 

My buddy runs a S4D/big bell housing with a dry sump LSX block.  Leaves the bottom completely open.

Has never had an issue with sand getting in the clutch.

I have always left it open, sand isn't getting in there when its running. If somehow you get sand in there when its not running you want it to get out. 

My buddy runs a S4D/big bell housing with a dry sump LSX block.  Leaves the bottom completely open.

Has never had an issue with sand getting in the clutch.
Different motor, but sand never affected the flywheel or clutch...

But it did eventually lock up my throwout bearing, which then shot-peened ball bearings all over the bellhousing.

The OEM cover is like the ebay link above, or like this guy:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2014-GM-Clutch-Flywheel-Cover-New-OEM-Black-24261713-12561303-/332256432400?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1#viTabs_0

Either way, quick trip to a junkyard should yield you what you want.  I believe they're the same for automatics and manuals, looks the same as the one on my 5.3/4L60 combo for the Jeep.  If not, I'm sure it can be modified or like @Fullthrottleguy says, made out of some 0.063" aluminum we all have lying around. 

Do not seal up the bellhousing, the Pressure plate works like a fan,  in 30 years of sand cars, have never seen sand in the bellhousing, I have seen moisture and it will destroy parts, keep it open and will allow the clutch to run cooler,  

Yes if it was a road car, with water and road grime and salts, then sure yes seal it up,  Desert might want to run per metal so rocks dont get in,  but for the sand leave it open, 

Back