Beadlock question

EastMT

Reaction score
I have never delt with beadlocks before but understand the concept of 'locking' the tire on the wheel so it doesn't spin. If a 2 piece beadlock wheel ( 2 separate halves not counting  the locking ring ) are leaking air where the two halves meet, so much air loss that they go flat in an hour and tire sealants do not slow down the leak, is there something that can be inexpensively fixed or replaced on the wheel like a gasket or o-ring or would the wheel need to be replaced? 

I don't own the wheel yet but need to know if I need to factor in replacing some expensive wheels.

Dismount the tire and silicone the halves together with a fat bead all the way around. 

Thanks! Is it fairly common to have to do that?
20 years ago I had a set of old CMS two piece wheels and they had a bead of silicone around the center. Split them up to make the fronts narrow and rears wider and did a bead of silicone and covered it with a layer of duct tape. Not sure why i needed the duct tape but that's what my racing friends did.

20 years ago I had a set of old CMS two piece wheels and they had a bead of silicone around the center. Split them up to make the fronts narrow and rears wider and did a bead of silicone and covered it with a layer of duct tape. Not sure why i needed the duct tape but that's what my racing friends did.
Thanks for the info!

The duct tape is just to keep dirt and debris out from between the halves if you have a problem or a flat. Obviously, the duct tape could easily be damaged in a blowout scenario but it still does a pretty good job of keeping stuff out.

The duct tape is just to keep dirt and debris out from between the halves if you have a problem or a flat. Obviously, the duct tape could easily be damaged in a blowout scenario but it still does a pretty good job of keeping stuff out.
Thanks for the tip.

Is there a better brand or type of silicone to use for this?

Is there a better brand or type of silicone to use for this?
Won't matter. Splurge on the caulking tube size. You're putting a ~15" bead on each wheel X 4 wheels is 60" = 5' long silicone bead. 

Won't matter. Splurge on the caulking tube size. You're putting a ~15" bead on each wheel X 4 wheels is 60" = 5' long silicone bead. 
Will do, thanks.

Back