Battery Chat

Dockmaster

Reaction score
Couple of battaery questions:

1) I noticed my 2017 F-350 6.7 wasn't cranking as quickly as I was used to. Battery voltage on both batteries showed fine and when running, the alternators were putting out 14.1v. These were original batteries so going on 5 years old. Given the age and realizing that voltage is only one measurement of battery health I decided to replace them. I happened to be at COSTCO yesterday so looked to see what they had. They sell Interstate Battery brand and had the group 65, with 850 cca and a 36 month warranty for $110 each. Seemed like a pretty good deal so went ahead and bough two. Installed them and truck is cranking normal now. I looked online after getting home and couldn't find anything for that price so was pretty satisfied I got a decent deal. I'm also wondering if most of these batteries are all made at the same place? They all look alike other than whatever sticker they put on them with a name. Even the different warranty length batteries look the same and I think you just pay more for longer warranty?

2) The battery on my SxS also crapped the bed. And with a Can-Am XRS with an aftermarket bench seat changing the battery is a PITA. The battery only lasted 1 year and I think the SxS was maybe used 3x in that year. Does anyone make a decent battery that will last longer for these things? Is it worth the $$ to upgrade to the bigger batteries you can get from places like UTV Stereo? I don't have a stereo or other large power draw items so I just need something that lasts a decent time. I already installed the remote battery posts so you can easily charge the battery if needed. 

Couple of battaery questions:

1) I noticed my 2017 F-350 6.7 wasn't cranking as quickly as I was used to. Battery voltage on both batteries showed fine and when running, the alternators were putting out 14.1v. These were original batteries so going on 5 years old. Given the age and realizing that voltage is only one measurement of battery health I decided to replace them. I happened to be at COSTCO yesterday so looked to see what they had. They sell Interstate Battery brand and had the group 65, with 850 cca and a 36 month warranty for $110 each. Seemed like a pretty good deal so went ahead and bough two. Installed them and truck is cranking normal now. I looked online after getting home and couldn't find anything for that price so was pretty satisfied I got a decent deal. I'm also wondering if most of these batteries are all made at the same place? They all look alike other than whatever sticker they put on them with a name. Even the different warranty length batteries look the same and I think you just pay more for longer warranty?

Many batteries are made in the same factory but are made to different specs. You generally get what you pay for when buying known brand names. I think you got a great deal on those interstates. The last time I bought a new battery, I was paying $180 per. You could have started developing a layer of corrosion between the terminals and battery posts that caused higher than normal resistance (Slow cranking). When you changed the batteries, this broke that layer up. Still, 5 years is decent life for batteries these days. 

2) The battery on my SxS also crapped the bed. And with a Can-Am XRS with an aftermarket bench seat changing the battery is a PITA. The battery only lasted 1 year and I think the SxS was maybe used 3x in that year. Does anyone make a decent battery that will last longer for these things? Is it worth the $$ to upgrade to the bigger batteries you can get from places like UTV Stereo? I don't have a stereo or other large power draw items so I just need something that lasts a decent time. I already installed the remote battery posts so you can easily charge the battery if needed. 

Do you use a battery tender? That battery should have lasted much longer than a year. I suspect you inadvertently allowed the battery to drop into the 11V range at some point. All lead acid batteries need to be kept at more than 50% charge and ideally, between 50%-80% in storage for maximum life. If you use a good charger/tender like ctek, you may notice the charger brings the battery up to full 12.7V and then will bring it down to a lesser voltage after a few days of non use for storage. Still plenty of juice to start but keeping away from that 100% of charge for times of storage.

Put a pig tail on the Can Am battery long enough so you can reach it easily and plug it into a battery tender

Costco has a Battery Tender brand float charger for like $50. Works great and the original battery in the wife’s 2017 X3 is still going strong

There is a difference between some of the brands, but like you suspected, a lot of batteries are made by just a handful of companies, like Trojan, Interstate, East Penn (makes Deka) etc. There was a guy who did "scientific" testing of different batteries using the same loads, chargers, etc. In his testing, the Walmart Everstart batteries came out on top of his list, they're made by Johnson Controls and he said they were $119 for a 5 yr warranty battery. 3 yrs full refund and pro-rated on the last 24 months.

I've had my Costco truck batteries die on me pretty fast, but I may have a stuck relay draining them. The Costco 6v GC batteries are the WORST on the planet, dying at 13 or 14 months with a 12 mo. warranty. All of Costco batteries are made by Interstate, but hopefully it's only the 6V GC batteries that are crappy. If these do start losing power earlier than you expect, I'd get a refund and switch over to the Everstart batteries.

Here's the testing video.

for the can am I really love the interstate wheelchair batteries.   They are a perfect fit and the same case as a pc925.  I used to have two of them for my 415 stroker no issues.  They are way less money than a PC925 also.   

for the can am I really love the interstate wheelchair batteries.   They are a perfect fit and the same case as a pc925.  I used to have two of them for my 415 stroker no issues.  They are way less money than a PC925 also.   
I wish I knew this earlier! Some good info here. 

Costco is a good place to buy batteries if you plan to use their warranty when they fail.  When you see 6 volt golf cart batteries at Costco, they aren't built to the same specs you see at Battery stores.  I have an electric golf cart, if I buy the Costco Trojan Batteries I get 3 years out of them.  If I buy the same brand from a Battery store, I get 6 years out of them.  You get what you pay for them, personally I don't like to be stuck with something that won't start.

Back