Back Yard Turkey

Quaddaddy

Reaction score
Just curious if we have any back yard turkey events to report on. I always deep fry and get both my sons involved.  The drill is salt brine the night before. Next morning, we dry ‘em out good. Then lots of butter injection ensues. 30-35 minutes in the oil and we’re chowing.

1E2348C6-1089-41C6-AA9A-25D3B4795D88.jpeg03E794D0-2BA8-45A8-9A87-A92753376147.jpegC171AA9B-8DF7-4A13-8B88-0D9FAD540B29.jpeg7B87875B-7469-4626-99C0-164A9436EDAA.jpeg

CB51048A-1B5A-4D0C-AA53-372615B1212B.jpeg

I deep fried one as well. Probably 12 years or so since I did it, been smoking them. Had no issues except it cooked too fast. Was planning on 3 min per lb, 15 lb bird. Checked it at 35 min in and breast was already 170*!!!! Wanted 155* but it was still good. 

I did one on the Weber Kettle, one on my Pit Boss Pellet.  No pics.

Both came out great.  Filled up on too many appetizers and snacks early on.  Barely hungry for dinner.

Its not mine but ive seen that big ole contraption in the garage for frying a turkey. Looks like its been waiting for its first use. I like the ladder idea for lowering it down. Any other tips? Next time at Costco will pick up a 55gal drum of oil. What ya running in yo turkey? (quick google search said Peanut) 

Come and get it!!! 

Being silly because they sell giant size everything.

Sir we are going to need you to pull around back so the forklift can load your cookin oil. 

Its not mine but ive seen that big ole contraption in the garage for frying a turkey. Looks like its been waiting for its first use. I like the ladder idea for lowering it down. Any other tips? Next time at Costco will pick up a 55gal drum of oil. What ya running in yo turkey? (quick google search said Peanut) 
Peanut oil. 

You dont need a ladder! First and foremost!!!! DRY the turkey!!!! When you are done drying it, dry it again! Inside and out!

Also, put the turkey in the pot and fill it with water, take the turkey out and mark the top of the water line. NOW, when you pour in the oil, put in 1/2''-1'' LESS oil.

Oil expands when it gets hot. The main reason for boil overs is too much oil AND not drying the turkey. Oil and water do not mix! 

Get a long glove and lower the turkey very slow.

Its not rocket science 

Just get the meat dry as possible. I use the Chaceries butter (we like the creole, tastes like rotisserie, and jalapeño which is awesome). (The Chaceries butter goes on sale about now. My wife found a bunch for $1.00 at the dollar store). The oil you get nowadays is combination peanut and canola. 3 gallons should do fine. I keep the birds sized to 13 or 14 lbs. they fry up great.  I always temp check at about 15-20 minutes in to the fry. I go a lot by color. Pull it out at 155-160 degrees and let it cool down well before slicing. No complaints from my crew on T-Day!

Sweet man. Nice tip about predetermining the volume of oil. 

Im sure the turkey has lots of little hiding spots for water to get trapped. Ive been using blue shop towels exclusively in the kitchen. Works great for drying meat and not leaving behind dingle berries. 

Before going into walmart check their prices online. I found the shop towels are a pack of 6 for $6 when ordered online. Couple hours later you get a text saying its ready for pickup at their outside section. Been buying lots of stuff that way. Food appears to be the same price. Things like polyurethane, diesel oil, shop towels, American flags. All are cheaper if you order online. Quite significant too. The $6 pack of shop towels is $10 if you waddle inside to buy them. 

I use a ladder.  Lower it on the end of a ratchet strap.

When it'd done, you can suspend it above the pot for a couple minutes to let some of the residual oil dip off.

Back