AZ plates OK to OHV in CA now?

Dune-Track-N

Reaction score
Help me read between the lines, as they are kinda blurry

https://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1234/files/Red Sticker Season Out of State Plates 2020 final.pdf

The way I read this is, if you have an "out of state - street plated AZ-UT etc..." anything OHV you can ride all year in CA without an non-resident out of state ohv sticker. They blur the lines between green/red in the examples.

image.png

This will be super handy for my friends in AZ who are plated and come to CA OHV once or twice. I'm gonna print it and have them put in the glove box for just in case the LEO's give chase for stickers.

I agree with you. Stated that if you are a legal street vehicle then you are a legal ohv in California.  Still think ohv only license plate from out of California need the green/red sticker.

CA no longer has red stickers, this memo is 2.5 years old.  Fyi, my dual sport Motorcycle guys have never been hassled riding in Cali, but then again they don't ride in Glamis.

Help me read between the lines, as they are kinda blurry

https://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1234/files/Red Sticker Season Out of State Plates 2020 final.pdf

The way I read this is, if you have an "out of state - street plated AZ-UT etc..." anything OHV you can ride all year in CA without an non-resident out of state ohv sticker. They blur the lines between green/red in the examples.

View attachment 40846

This will be super handy for my friends in AZ who are plated and come to CA OHV once or twice. I'm gonna print it and have them put in the glove box for just in case the LEO's give chase for stickers.
They use to stop me all the time but never gave me a ticket. One cop said crazy Arizona people. DON~~~

Dons pictures 436.jpg

Glamis pictures 097.JPG

That looks specific to California State Parks.  Not ISDRA/BLM/Fed

ISDRA/BLM/Fed, do not control registration or green/red months that's CA and the ISDRA/BLM/Fed have to follow the CA rules for violations in that regard.

All I'm trying to figure out is if my friends with AZ plates are good to go or will they have to buy the $30-50 yearly pass for two days of riding. Likelihood of even seeing a LEO is 2% but ya never want to find out the hard way.

AZ has 3 different ways to register an OHV
#1 straight OHV, just like CA green sticker and is not plated or "street legal". This is how my friends quads are registered and 100% need the out-of-state tags.
#2 is street legal but limited to direct to trail highway driving. This may be 50:50 get the out-of-state tags, this is what they have.
#3 FULL street legal OHV.

I totally understand that $30-50 is ridiculous to consider/argue about, but my friends do not want to buy the visitor pass.... for two trips.

ISDRA/BLM/Fed, do not control registration or green/red months that's CA and the ISDRA/BLM/Fed have to follow the CA rules for violations in that regard.

All I'm trying to figure out is if my friends with AZ plates are good to go or will they have to buy the $30-50 yearly pass for two days of riding. Likelihood of even seeing a LEO is 2% but ya never want to find out the hard way.

AZ has 3 different ways to register an OHV
#1 straight OHV, just like CA green sticker and is not plated or "street legal". This is how my friends quads are registered and 100% need the out-of-state tags.
#2 is street legal but limited to direct to trail highway driving. This may be 50:50 get the out-of-state tags, this is what they have.
#3 FULL street legal OHV.

I totally understand that $30-50 is ridiculous to consider/argue about, but my friends do not want to buy the visitor pass.... for two trips.
People I know with street legal, street plated sand cars in Az don't buy them and have not been tested.

You can't run this AZ plate on a sand car because it has a weight limit. DON~~~

New today 010.JPG

Where are some of the popular places to get the Arizona stickers?  In Quartzite or Prescott?

Another reason to no go to CA. DON~~~
Blame that issue on AZ and other states for not allowing reciprocity with OHV stuff.   When I go to AZ I have to get a non-resident sticker for my SXS as you do in several other states.  

Last edited by a moderator:
utah actually started the non reciprocity deal with the ohv stuff.

utah actually started the non reciprocity deal with the ohv stuff.
Yup but many still think az did. They just followed after Utah. I think ca is doing something right on this too. They accept registration from states who accept ca. otherwise make you buy if you are from a state who doesn’t accept ca tags

Back