ATF in Trans-axles

Bobalos

Reaction score
While buying fluid for my next oil change I got to wondering if Trans-axles will ever goto ATF like "normal" manual transmissions have.

thanks

Bob

@Sean@Weddle

A lot went that way for low viscosity to comply with the all-important CAFE standards.

A lot went that way for low viscosity to comply with the all-important CAFE standards.
and now my coffee is thicker than the motor oils in todays cars.................  it kind of makes sense if it can provide the protection the gears need. 

Not in any gearbox that requires heavy impact protection during use.

There is a reason why we asked Maxima to make a 190wt oil as we saw the normal 140wt oils were not able to protect the gears well enough in this type of use.

im thinking the use of atf is ok in certain gearboxes due to the design of the transaxles (ex, hondas, fwd cars etc that dont have hypoid gears).   in a typical hypoid ring and pinion application im thinking the heat thats generated will cook atf..

the first time I heard of it, was 25+ years ago, I had a buddy with a Rustang LX with the stick & it had ATF in it.  I thought he was wrong, but the dealer confirmed it was ATF.

My wife's 2008 JKU (4-door wrangler for the uneducated folk) uses ATF in T-Case and power steering system. Fine for the 98% of mall crawling it does, but I do worry about it when I thrash on it the other 2% of the time.

It freaks me out - I just put another Tremec TRX in a car - that trans is the latest 750Ft lb capable 5 speed manual and the recommended fluid is Dexron III ATF -  I had to triple check ...  I emailed Tremec and said this will be subject to 650Ft lbs TQ  - is there a Heavy Duty recommendation?  they said No use ATF.

Maybe the shock load is far less than a Diff, but when I think ATF, I know they focus on friction modifiers for clutches not 6500 RPM fast shifts,  and clutch drop burn outs ...

My wife's 2008 JKU (4-door wrangler for the uneducated folk) uses ATF in T-Case and power steering system. Fine for the 98% of mall crawling it does, but I do worry about it when I thrash on it the other 2% of the time.
Transfer case has planetary gears, so kinda like an automatic. :biggrin:

It freaks me out - I just put another Tremec TRX in a car - that trans is the latest 750Ft lb capable 5 speed manual and the recommended fluid is Dexron III ATF -  I had to triple check ...  I emailed Tremec and said this will be subject to 650Ft lbs TQ  - is there a Heavy Duty recommendation?  they said No use ATF.

Maybe the shock load is far less than a Diff, but when I think ATF, I know they focus on friction modifiers for clutches not 6500 RPM fast shifts,  and clutch drop burn outs ...
I assume the synchros are the same type they use in OEM applications and designed around ATF?  

Transfer case has planetary gears, so kinda like an automatic. :biggrin:

I assume the synchros are the same type they use in OEM applications and designed around ATF?  
The TRX seems to be based on the TKO  - which used GM Symchromesh fluid  ... which Tremec says Not to use in this ... I know when I put the bigger SC on my Mustang I was told to add LUCAS gear oil supplement (just a few oz's) to my T5 (they used ATF) to make the fluid "climb"  I never destroyed anything even though that trans was maybe rated for 400ft Lbs , but I know if you added too much the trans would be a bear to shift at RPM 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back