Are we in trouble????

Drivehard

Reaction score
When does this make its way into our cars? When in the world will the people of ca be fed up?

2D8F1ED3-0F0D-46B2-9F0B-A854CAC7811C.png

It’s not another Enviro grab. Eliminating the Red Sticker program has been in the works for along time. The Red Sticker program was originally a band aid to give the manufactures time to build Carb compliant bikes, that can be “Green Stickered”. But the manufactures chose to ignore concept of a grace period and chose to build purpose built Red Sticker bikes. Now Carb is saying your Red Sticker grace period is over.  None Carb compliant bikes can still be manufactured and sold, but they will have to be track bikes only. 

The good news is all 2021 and older Red Sticker bikes are now grandfathered in as Green Sticker bikes now. 

So yore saying i should invest in older red sticker bikes?

This is not a "bad" thing at all, except that there will no longer be a sales market for new non-carb compliant bikes.

2022 models and new will all be green sticker CARB approved bikes.

2021 and older red stickers will all become green stickered and free to ride all year no restrictions.

has nothing to do with SPCN sand rails or current green stickered bikes/quads/utvs

I bought 2-2021 ktm 300xc-w 2strokes because of this . Like said any 2-stroke bike after 2021 will only legal on private property or a sanctioned race event on the race day only . I hunted for a month got lucky and found these 2 one came from Oregon the other from Colorado . 

22983004-431A-4F31-B3B2-699668312AD8.jpeg

My take FWIW. It's kinda like Oceano Dunes/Pismo. The powers that be can't get the place shut down, so they attempt to limit camping on the beach. CA can't get the riding areas shut down, so they'll eliminate the dirt bikes first, then follow it up with quads and then SXSs. If you've got nothing to ride/buy, they dont need to fight the masses to shut down our off road areas. 

My take FWIW. It's kinda like Oceano Dunes/Pismo. The powers that be can't get the place shut down, so they attempt to limit camping on the beach. CA can't get the riding areas shut down, so they'll eliminate the dirt bikes first, then follow it up with quads and then SXSs. If you've got nothing to ride/buy, they dont need to fight the masses to shut down our off road areas. 
They are not eliminating anything except for the manufactures to build non Carb legal bike to ride on open public land. Those non Carb bikes are still legal to build, sell & ride. It’s just for private property or sanctioned racing events. 

The Red Sticker program was to make it so bikes were not excluded from riding on public lands and to give the manufactures time to build a Carb compliant engine. In many cases they have, in many cases they ignored the plan and now these manufactures have engines that don’t meet the requirements. And like said all 2021 and older Red Stickered bikes all get automatically moved and grandfathered into Green Sticker qualifications. 

The only losers are the manufactures who chose over the dozen or so years to not make a Carb legal engine. 

It’s not another Enviro grab. Eliminating the Red Sticker program has been in the works for along time. The Red Sticker program was originally a band aid to give the manufactures time to build Carb compliant bikes, that can be “Green Stickered”. But the manufactures chose to ignore concept of a grace period and chose to build purpose built Red Sticker bikes. Now Carb is saying your Red Sticker grace period is over.  None Carb compliant bikes can still be manufactured and sold, but they will have to be track bikes only. 

The good news is all 2021 and older Red Sticker bikes are now grandfathered in as Green Sticker bikes now.

Was wondering about this.  Bought a '21  KLX 140 for my daughter and as I was putting reg. sticker on I noticed it was a red sticker.  Figured that was a mistake and was trying to figure out who to contact and get a green sticker.  (Thinking that bike should be green).  So, according to this, that red sticker is the same as a green?   

Not sure where you guys are reading that all red sticker bikes will now be green. It’s my understanding that red sticker riding season will never go away. It’s my understanding that everything from today and backwards will remain the same. I can not ride my new 300 injected KTM at Gorman right now. The only thing that is changing is after January 1st, 2022, you either buy a dual sport or it’s a closed course competition bike. Nothing in between. I would love to see some supporting documentation stating differently. 

Multiple KTM dealers and the California highway patrol when I had to get the bike I bought from out of state needed a vin check they all said the same thing all bikes 2021 and older will all become green sticker bikes . 

Not sure where you guys are reading that all red sticker bikes will now be green. It’s my understanding that red sticker riding season will never go away. It’s my understanding that everything from today and backwards will remain the same. I can not ride my new 300 injected KTM at Gorman right now. The only thing that is changing is after January 1st, 2022, you either buy a dual sport or it’s a closed course competition bike. Nothing in between. I would love to see some supporting documentation stating differently. 
Direct from the Air Resource Board. 

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default/files/2020-01/Red Sticker Guidance Document for Riders.pdf

Interesting. Thank you for the information. So in 2025 I can ride my 300 year around. 

I can’t help but feel “They just need to build carb compliant bikes” mentality is the wrong way to see this. To me it’s the same as the “just build micro stamping guns and they will be on the list”. Give me a damm break.  How could you possibly not see how this will make its way into SxSs and then into sand cars and beyond?  The way I see it they just keep narrowing the field until there is no field to deal with.  

it’s the same as the gun manufacturers that have just said F**K CA, we don’t need to sell to those idiots, it’s not worth the time or the money to make something that is either not realistic or so expensive it will never sell.  

Don’t you guys feel the “now my bike is legal” way of looking at it is short sighted and honestly self centered as all could be?  I mean your kids or your grand kids or maybe it’s their kids that will never know the joy of riding a new 2 smoker on a trail in ca for the first time? Never.....  and it seems because you are getting something your ok with that.  These small “gifts” y’all focus on are the exact reason this sort of bullCrap keeps going.  
That is until that POS state decides that they don’t want them ridden at all and changes the rules....... but then it’s too late.    Just the same as the diesel trucks people worked their asses off for that are no longer legal for those companies (aka your dad or neighbor that has worked 18 hours a day for 30 years to make payments on those things or saved enough to buy them) that have earned them and spared no money maintaining them so they will last until retirement. To be told “sorry” sucks for you but you will buy 5 or 10 or 15 new $100,000 trucks oh and some new tier 4 equipment while your at it.   

I just can’t help but feel that this will in fact make its way into everything else off-road. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just grab our jugular vein and squeeze tighter! Peace 

Back