Anyone Replace Radiator in 17’ F350?

Dockmaster

Reaction score
The radiator in my 2017 F350 6.7  just starting weeping so looking at replacements. Looks like the leak is the typical where the plastic tank crimps to the alum core. Anyone replaced theirs? What did you go with? Truck only has 51k miles so I’m looking for something that will last as I keep trucks a long time. I see mixed reviews on the Mishimoto rads. Anyone with first hand knowledge of these or others? 

we have a local radiator shop that can fix them in okc, im sure you do also. they uncrimp them replace tank and its good to go. they also have the plastic tanks.

they did my sons 2012 gmc and said they can do all trucks, just no smaller cars. 

ours was a simple crimp issue, recrimped it and it was all good.

we have a local radiator shop that can fix them in okc, im sure you do also. they uncrimp them replace tank and its good to go. they also have the plastic tanks.

they did my sons 2012 gmc and said they can do all trucks, just no smaller cars. 

ours was a simple crimp issue, recrimped it and it was all good.
It’s a decent project to get the rad swapped so prefer to go in with a new one if I can verify the quality is good. 

I put a cheapo chinese in my 2012 and it started leaking after about a year from a crimp spot where one of the little fingers didn't make it over the plastic tank. I was 600 miles from home with limited tools and couldn't get the little finger out to crimp it properly so I just dumped a bottle of bars leaks in it (not the pellets) and haven't touched it since. Maybe now that I'm reminded I'll address it again. Mishimoto is $1136 and 95¢.

It's an easy enough job. Hoses are kind of a quick connect with a wire clip to secure them

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it matters which radiator it is. Mine has 2

See if Performance Radiator has an All aluminum one for your model. Mines an 2005 V10 but I got their all aluminum radiator probably about 2 years ago, so far so good. 

might check mishimoto, i've had 3 now in 3 different diesels with no issues. probably running a special for labor day or some of the dealers are

I guess it matters which radiator it is. Mine has 2
The 2017 has 2 radiators as well. A primary and secondary in front of it. I will probably replace both since you have to remove both to get to the primary. 

might check mishimoto, i've had 3 now in 3 different diesels with no issues. probably running a special for labor day or some of the dealers are
Good to hear - thanks. I've seen some differing reviews but most seem pretty good. 

Don't know if just the tank and gasket is available, but I've replaced a bunch of crimped on tanks in the past. A screwdriver can be used to gently pry up the fingers to remove it, and special pliers for recrimping. it's totally not hard to do once you get the radiator out. If you insist on a new radiator, I personally would only use one from Ford. 

Mishimoto, I think, is the best radiator you can get but very expensive. You're looking at close to $2500 for both of them. The secondary costs more than the primary 

The radiator in my 2017 F350 6.7  just starting weeping so looking at replacements. Looks like the leak is the typical where the plastic tank crimps to the alum core. Anyone replaced theirs? What did you go with? Truck only has 51k miles so I’m looking for something that will last as I keep trucks a long time. I see mixed reviews on the Mishimoto rads. Anyone with first hand knowledge of these or others? 
I’ve fixed alot of low mileage mishimotos (especially in jeep jku’s , , they dont flex well)….. my brother got one that was dead on arrival (leaked out of the box). Second one lasted couple hundred miles, back to stock ford nothing like paying a mechanic 3x’s to do the same job under 1k miles) This was within the first 60k miles on his ‘10 f250. Ended up trading it in for a new dodge 3500 

Last edited by a moderator:
Car-part.com you may find one there... I don't think leaking radiators is a known issue on those......I'd be scared its a symptom of a head gasket...

Don't know if just the tank and gasket is available, but I've replaced a bunch of crimped on tanks in the past. A screwdriver can be used to gently pry up the fingers to remove it, and special pliers for recrimping. it's totally not hard to do once you get the radiator out. If you insist on a new radiator, I personally would only use one from Ford. 
I’m typically a strictly OEM only parts guy. But this radiator is original and thus Ford OEM. Truck only has 51k miles so didn’t exactly hold up. It’s leaking on the bottom drivers corner which apparently is a common leak location. 

I just put a bottle of Bar’s stop leak in it to see if it will hold for a bit until I have time to do the swap. Looks like it may be working on initial test drive. 

Following up on this. I put some stop leak in the weeping radiator and it held for a year then started weeping again from the same spot. I bought the Mishimoto all alum radiator and did the swap this weekend. The new radiator looks like a piece of jewelry. Doing the swap was a decent size project. Took me the better part of a day but I was taking my time and didn’t want to damage anything else. Given you are moving or removing the a/c condenser, secondary radiator, power steering cooler, the front grill, headlights and more, it would be easy to cause damage. Only stupid mistake I made was forgetting to,put the drain plug back in the secondary radiator. Of course I figured that out right quick as I started to fill it :mad::mad:. Worst part is the plug is a PITA to get to once everything is back together. Oh well, won’t be the last time I do something stupid unfortunately. Hoping this radiator lasts a long time!

Not sure if the truck got serviced and might got hit or something happened to the radiator, they have a PH ford testing kit, i have 140.000 on mine with no issues, same truck, I would do a factory radiator

Not sure if the truck got serviced and might got hit or something happened to the radiator, they have a PH ford testing kit, i have 140.000 on mine with no issues, same truck, I would do a factory radiator
I’ve owned it since new. Don’t think anything damaged it. The Ford radiators are known to develop leaks where the plastic tank crimps to the core. I never had an issue with my last F350 radiator for 15 years. Oh well, just my luck this time I guess. No other real issues with the truck (knock wood) though so can’t complain.

Back