Anyone have opinion of the Rugged radio M1?

John@Outfront

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
On my last rip had lots of rain, mud and then had to clean my SXS  now my display is gone on my RM60 (rugged radio)

i called them and they said this unit is not water proof and they have an upgrade option  $450 for the new M1 and then they give you back $120 when your old radio comes back

input?  suggestions?

Yes, they are prone to water damage. Have not heard about anyone with the M1.  Does PCI have anything?

On my last rip had lots of rain, mud and then had to clean my SXS  now my display is gone on my RM60 (rugged radio)

i called them and they said this unit is not water proof and they have an upgrade option  $450 for the new M1 and then they give you back $120 when your old radio comes back

input?  suggestions?
The m1 has a better design than the rm60, 

rm60 had a telephone style jack for the handheld walkie with a rubber cover that easily was lost opening up the internals for water damage. Also had a top mounted speaker that also allowed for water to enter as most applications of installation were horizontally flat or sloped back allowing water to enter when washing or rain.  The M1 has the speaker mounted underneath and a threaded mic style input for the hand held walkie 

the M1 is a nice radio, we sold a lot of them in the last couple months, everyone seems happy with them and UTV guys like to wash the cars off with hose and so far no issues ...

PCI does the Icom and Kenwood radios  both  great radios but I don't know if they are waterproof

the trade in deal sounds like a great deal ...

Didn't Rugged (or someone) used to sell a waterproof kit/case for these?  I remember seeing something, but can't find it anywhere.

I have been running the M1 from Rugged since it was released.  No issues with it and I have ridden in rain and towed it on my trailer in the rain a several times.  It has been a solid radio and super easy to program.  

I had a RM60 before and it was too easy to get all jacked up from minimal water.  

For added protection you can get the magnetic cover for the radio as that will keep water form getting to the front.  

Back