Any tips for mounting paddles on beadlocks for the least or no leakage?

EastMT

Reaction score
One of the wheels is the leaker that I previously posted about. The area where the two halves meet was cleaned up with a wire wheel, the lips where the tires seat were wire wheeled,  scrubbed with hot soapy water, rinsed, and both wheels allowed to dry for several days. A liberal Newsom amount of silicone was applied in the crevace where the two halves meet, allowed  to cure for a week, then wrapped with duct tape. 

Do you have any tips for leak free (or as close to leak free) mounting? I thought I read about a swipe of silicone on the bead in another post. Is that something I should try?

Pass on the silicone on the bead.

Put in new valve stems. Get some StayFlo starch and put 20oz in each paddle. Mount, set the bead and drive the car to disperse the StayFlo

https://www.amazon.com/Sta-Flo-Concentrated-Liquid-Starch-Limited/dp/B08NT7H17Y/ref=asc_df_B08NT7H17Y/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=632190024904&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14325270470548066831&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031573&hvtargid=pla-1890750098156&psc=1

Also, if after wire wheeling the rim, if it is rough at all it will leak. I had to take a die grinder with a soft pad to smooth it out. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been happy with this - haven't needed it on the buggy yet, but it worked great on the CanAm with Beadlocks- What's nice about the large bottle shown below, it comes with a pump and each pump is an ounce - and there's a formula on the bottle for how many ounces per tire size.  This is enough to do several sets of tires.

image.png

I also use the Berryman tire sealer. Funco puts it in all their paddles as well. I put 2 quarts per paddle and 1 quart per steering tire. Roll them around then lay flat for a day, flip over for another day. This stuff is magic.

Thanks for the tips.  I did install new valve stems. Will mount them and if they don't hold air will get some starch/sealant.

I started using this, Stayflow wasn't working anymore, and Berryman's stained my trailer floor (does slowly leak)

tires4.jpg

Put in new valve stems. Get some StayFlo starch and put 20oz in each paddle. Mount, set the bead and drive the car to disperse the StayFlo

https://www.amazon.com/Sta-Flo-Concentrated-Liquid-Starch-Limited/dp/B08NT7H17Y/ref=asc_df_B08NT7H17Y/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=632190024904&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14325270470548066831&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031573&hvtargid=pla-1890750098156&psc=1

Also, if after wire wheeling the rim, if it is rough at all it will leak. I had to take a die grinder with a soft pad to smooth it out. 
This 👆🏻siliconed my new stems on the wheel side and the nut side after tightening and go all season with minimal top off. Plus all the other comments.  

Damn! Stan Flo almost 9 bucks on Amazon. It's like $4 at Walmart 

FYI, haven't touch my car since last Feb (I know....), all tires are full of air in the trailer, pretty happy.

Some of those tire sealants are corrosive. I don't think sta flo is as I haven't had any problems with it but the green slime for example has eaten a hole through a couple of my aluminum quad wheels.

Back