Any AC guys out there. Small building. What unit/system?

onanysunday

Reaction score
My brother is building a small office on the side of his property to work in. Get rid of the office he leases and work at home. Building will be 26'x9'. 6' of it will be storage so the workspace will be 20'x9'. 10' tall on one side and 8' tall on the other. One door and one window. 1" thick minimum wood floor on 12" centers. 2x6 walls. He wants to have a vent or opening that lets him also cool the storage portion of the building. So what type of AC or system for something like this. Minisplit or? He will quite often be out there working for 10 hours a day. Thanks

2 minisplits so he can cool each area separately 

2 minisplits so he can cool each area separately 
This, but I would just do one mini split, 2 zones (Head units).  

Just helped a buddy do this to his 2 garages. One in Mesa, and other in Havasu.  They work killer and both were dual head units.  Each head unit with a BTU rating designed for the space it was in.

This, but I would just do one mini split, 2 zones (Head units).  

Just helped a buddy do this to his 2 garages. One in Mesa, and other in Havasu.  They work killer and both were dual head units.  Each head unit with a BTU rating designed for the space it was in.
Buddy did similar adding cooling for his garage.  Put a second head unit in the master bedroom so he doesn't have to cool the whole house at night.  Works great.

guys he is talking about a extra 6 ft space.  I would put a 18k btu mini on there and just heat and cool the whole darn thing. Make it easy. 

guys he is talking about a extra 6 ft space.  I would put a 18k btu mini on there and just heat and cool the whole darn thing. Make it easy. 
Well you know how it is around here. Need a inch they tell you that it needs to be a mile.

I would put a exhaust fan on it though so during the nice time of year you can get some cross ventilation without turning on the mini split 

This... plus does the storage area even need to be cooled to the same level as the work area?  What is going in the storage? 

-TJ

This.

Maybe a jump duct with a fan in the ceiling (like a bathroom fan), and a small vent at the bottom of the door.

LOL, didn't really look at that.

Mini split is still awesome though :biggrin:

LOL, didn't really look at that.

Mini split is still awesome though :biggrin:
Yeah, I'd definitely still go mini-split for the use-case, but probably only one head unit (unless he wants to do the 2nd one in his master bedroom as you suggested above). 

-TJ

Ductless mini splits come in packages these days. Figure out how many zones you want to heat/cool, how many square feet per room, and that’s it. They come multi zone so you will have one condenser outside feeding an evaporator in each room. They are separately controlled so you can make each room a different temp. I like the Mitsubishi brand but there are a ton out there. Just google multi zone mini split and you should be able to find what you need.

Back