Another Amazon Scam

Fullthrottleguy

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
I just received a New AC Delco TPS sensor from Amazon on Thursday. I buy those all the time there and only from authorized dealers. I opened the box, and in 1 second I could tell its a knock off. Not even close labeling... So how does that happen??

I contacted Amazon and tell them and of course easy return...  They ask if I want to talk to the seller, I checked yes andx sent the note to them since I have bought from them many times before.

The seller contacts me afterward and apologizes saying they ONLY sell genuine AC Delco parts But there is a new scam on Amazon where people are buying the $10 china knockoff and the Original AC DELCO part and swapping the knock off into the AC Delco box  and returning it as unopened/unused.  He told me he sees this on every sensor, alternators, water pumps etc. and most people never know  except he gets warranty returns and they are knock offs.  He is moving to put "label tape" on every thing he sells so Amazon can identify if its actually been opened/replaced and they send back to him rather than out back on the shelf, he still eats the return, but he keeps the junk out of the field. 

I have seen so many knock off Bosch 044 fuel pumps and 02 sensors and MSD and Aeromotive stuff from unauthorized sellers - that stuff is all over the web, but never saw "people" being dirt bags doing the buy and switch... I love Amazon's return policy, but soon I doubt anything will be original if you buy it on line

Its really frustrating especially when a knock off part fails  - and they always fail

Last edited by a moderator:
people just suck these days..

its bad enough you have to pay close attention when buying oil from wally mary. people will changge their oil, bottle up the old and soem even go as far as resealing hte bolltes (you c an get em online) and return to wallmart for refund.

That kind of scam has been going on for a long time. It's probably more widespread now. I had a lady buy a new Samsung phone battery from me for $10 or so and as soon as I marked the item shipped, she cancelled the order. I was wondering why she would cancel it only hours after ordering it - then it dawned on me - she was going to open the package, put her worn out battery in it and ship it back to me at my expense. I replied to her if she opened it, no returns allowed. She never replied, but she kept it. That proved to me I was right and that was her scam.

The sellers these days need to implement some sort of policy like mine - if they open it, no returns allowed, or if allowed, if it was swapped for a knock off, no refund.

Some People really do suck. My buddy who worked with leased cars said "certain groups of people" would lease new Mercedes for 36,000 or 50,000 miles and never change the oil, just add used oil if it was low and supply fake receipts if asked. They would always "auction" those cars because it was obvious when they came in

No that guy's probably selling knock off, and knows it. Only time I give them the benefit of the doubt is if I bought it used or it was a warehouse deal that's been previously opened.

Razor blades, batteries, dog food, vitamins, etc all have knock-offs on Amazon. I refuse to buy batteries or razor blades from Amazon because it's so bad.

people just suck these days..

its bad enough you have to pay close attention when buying oil from wally mary. people will changge their oil, bottle up the old and soem even go as far as resealing hte bolltes (you c an get em online) and return to wallmart for refund.
You have to watch buying DEF from Wallyworld too. They use it add water and a splash of ammonia and reseal it.

Did the vendor have any suggestions on how to avoid this scam?  

Imo, this is pretty concerning.   Even companies that are buying voucher fuel pumps by the box are getting scammed and don't even know they are selling knock offs.  Jegs or summit had this exact problem.  

Don't buy ANYTHING off of Amazon.. .over 50% of the stuff are counterfeits.. maybe more. Always try to go MFR direct website (USA made, please) and order there.

My $.02

abc

I like to shop at my local stores, hardware, grocery, speed shops,  etc, but...  they are getting scammed as well and there are times you can't goto the mfg......  

I like to shop at my local stores, hardware, grocery, speed shops,  etc, but...  they are getting scammed as well and there are times you can't goto the mfg......  
You're 100%, but then see who the MFR authorizes as a franchised distributor. The distributor could still 'sneak in' phonies, but that's at risk of losing their contract and being sued, etc.

The Chinese counterfeit EVERYTHING. Just be careful out there.

abc

The only way I could get a "real" map sensor for my ls, was at the dealer. I used a few of the others, some with a bogus label and box, they all crapped out in a few trips. 

Same issue with Bosch fuel pumps.

It's hard to buy genuine parts anymore....

I bought a crank position sensor for my truck recently it was dead on arrival and it also didnt fit like it should.Truck could barely start and if it did it barely ran.Was advertised as ac delco genuine part.

I ended up sending it back and buying one local but others also had complaints about the ac delco ones like i bought not working or failing fast.I bought this one to replace the one i bought 2 years earlier also an ac delco too.Now makes me wonder if i got a fake too but did have same part number too.

Fixed my buddies master window switch for him. He said he wanted a GM part. Original part said made in Mexico. It made me smile.

I am with you on that  ... but some times waiting weeks and paying 2x makes Amazon convenience too tempting  ...

I am with you on that  ... but some times waiting weeks and paying 2x makes Amazon convenience too tempting  ...
i for the most part have given up trying to support local places here in havasu. the most common response is "ill have to order that"... well chit, i can order it myself then and have it delivered to my door!

I did the same thing for a mass air flow sensor for my Chevy. When I installed it and it immediately threw a code I knew it was a fake. Then I realized Delphi was the OEM for that part and an AC Delco part wouldn’t have been correct anyway. Wouldn’t the TPS be made by Delphi as well?

I don't buy chit from Amazon. Eff Amazon and Eff Jeff bezos. I am not interested in putting another penny in that nutbag's pocket. If I buy anything on eBay it's from American sellers only. There are Chinese sellers with US stock but their profile tells you where they are based.

Reactions: THD
Back