Aluminum or steel tie rods, or just cut what I got?

Jammer75

Reaction score
I need to shorten my tierods by 1.5” on each one. Switched the type of spindle I’m using. Not sure if just cutting off 3/4” on each side will hurt the integrity. If so should I replace with aluminum or steel? 

thoughts and opinions…

A3BE0089-6FDA-40B8-9A50-6A73AE3DF35A.jpeg

I would cut off what you have and tap threads into them after cutting or weld in bungs.

Is the geometry of the spindle such that it won't mess with your steering?  1.5" is a lot.

I would not run aluminum tie rods on a car that big, but that's just me. Kartek sells them made to your specs, ready to go if you don't want to do the work yourself. 

But more importantly you need to check the bump steer, as KnR said 1.5 is a lot. That will effect the geometry, how much is unknown...

Is the geometry of the spindle such that it won't mess with your steering?  1.5" is a lot.
I have had it out and there is no bump steer throughout the travel (same as old spindles) I was able to get the front end adjusted correctly the only reason I need new tie rods is now I just need that room for the jam nuts to fit on so I can lock them down. 

I would not run aluminum tie rods on a car that big, but that's just me. Kartek sells them made to your specs, ready to go if you don't want to do the work yourself. 

But more importantly you need to check the bump steer, as KnR said 1.5 is a lot. That will effect the geometry, how much is unknown...
The current ones are aluminum and have been on the car there whole life. The last 6-8” or so are tapered down. I can’t tell if it is a welded in bung or if it’s threader into it. I’ll try and post a pic. 

I saw that kartek makes them. I’m in Az and called Foddrill they’re a little cheaper and I can just pick up. I think I will go with the steel. 

Aluminum will hold up just fine. We make them out of 7075 all the time. Takes about 2-3 business days (just need to run them in-between jobs)  for raw aluminum, about two weeks if you want them anodized 

Back