Adding fire suppression to a sand car help

r3meyer

Reaction score
After seeing the video of the poor guy who was badly burned I have decided I want to add fire suppression to my car.  

Can anyone recommend a good system to install or share their setup?  

Maybe check with Grant at Funco lots of there newer cars have it

great topic, lets see the details.  As a poor golf cart owner i should invest in one. 

I like the ESS fire suppression systems.  I've installed about 15 in sandcars and race cars, and I have one in my personal car.  I run the larger 5lb bottlte but I have seen an even larger bottle recently but I can't remember where I was or what brand car it was in.  The 5lb bottle is rated for 4 nozzles, I run three.  One is center on the dash, pointed at the seats and the other two are in the engine area and pointed at the headers.  Headers (and turbos, if equiped) are the most likley source of ignition for a fuel leak.

I've been on fire in a flat bottom boat in Havasu doing 115mph and twice in a Class 1 Unlimited car.  It sucked everytime.  FIre safety is very important to me.

20190904_141445.jpg

20190904_144518.jpg

20190904_175200.jpg

I posted this in response to one of the social media posts about that incident. These are a great way to have some added fire safety measures if you don't have a fire suppression system. When exposed to flame they burst and spray fire retardant, which can be very helpful if someone is trapped inside or potentially unconscious 

https://www.westmarine.com/elide-fire-usa-6inch-elide-fire-ball-fire-extinguisher-with-traditional-mounting-bracket-20216891.html?&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=PMax: GSC>Smart_Shopping>SafetyNCA&gclid=CjwKCAjw15eqBhBZEiwAbDomEkC9m4c4b7JkhNKa_b6S4gFu_2_ISdBrSnJ8oueYzfU07_im0ByuLhoCfYkQAvD_BwE 

I posted this in response to one of the social media posts about that incident. These are a great way to have some added fire safety measures if you don't have a fire suppression system. When exposed to flame they burst and spray fire retardant, which can be very helpful if someone is trapped inside or potentially unconscious 

https://www.westmarine.com/elide-fire-usa-6inch-elide-fire-ball-fire-extinguisher-with-traditional-mounting-bracket-20216891.html?&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=PMax: GSC>Smart_Shopping>SafetyNCA&gclid=CjwKCAjw15eqBhBZEiwAbDomEkC9m4c4b7JkhNKa_b6S4gFu_2_ISdBrSnJ8oueYzfU07_im0ByuLhoCfYkQAvD_BwE 
This would be a good idea to have in a vehicle. Now if only someone made a mount that could withstand an off-roading environment. The mount that they sell only looks good for stationary use. 

I installed a foam 4 nozzle system and really struggled with nozzle placement..You never know how your car will be when a fire breaks out. Is it right side up? Did you put it on it lid? Are you on the side? If you place them the way the instructions say and you put it on it's lid, everything above the nozzles will not get the foam. I ended up with one on the bottom of the motor, and on one side up high and one on other side down lower, last one pointed right to the middle of the dash.. still didn't feel good about the placements. 

I did see one video where the guy pulled the the leaver and it barely came out, it was very disheartening.

I did safecraft in my rzr, 2 nozzle. my biggest worry is just getting out, I always had fire extinguishers on hand but worried I couldn't get to them and when my daughter decided she wanted to start going I knew I had to put one in.

I did safecraft in my rzr, 2 nozzle. my biggest worry is just getting out, I always had fire extinguishers on hand but worried I couldn't get to them and when my daughter decided she wanted to start going I knew I had to put one in.
Getting out has been a challenge for me both times I’ve rolled (RZR and Canned Ham). If there was a fire I would have died both times🤦‍♂️

Thanks for reposting that thread - I have done a few more cars since then and still stand by how important this is, and how some people will just argue with me they don't need it and go out $1000 in bling mirrors on  their car instead of a fire system ...

I did a car a while ago with ESS and the guy wanted to test the system so we did  - it was a mess but the coverage based on the nozzle placement was right on  - combined with a firewall and or bladder and automatic fuel shutoff on engine stall  and other than wearing a driving suit , helmet and hans device , you should be in good shape to go have fun  and fell a little safer in our dangerous sport ...

Back