Adding a fuel tank to a 24 foot trailer.

Sandy claws

Reaction score
Ended up buying a 24 foot trailer.  Weighing my options as what to do for fuel. Would like a fuel station and wondering if anyone knows someone who installs them? Or am I better off just taking fuel tanks?  

Any of the trailer mfg.s can handle that. 

Jesse at New Trend Custom trailers has done it many times. Fontana area.

Universal, I know they have done it plenty of times before. 91 & 60 fwy

CNC trailers. Chad knows what he's doing. Orange County area.

Gonna need the tank - up to you how big. Pump, hose and gas nosel. Think about how you camp, your typical set up and how long of a hose you may need.

Any of the above mentioned will be able to help you out.

I set mine up so when the trip is over I can pump the rest into the motorhome. (Plenty of length)

I also have the hose mounted under the tongue box so I can pump to either side. 

just buy a transfer tank and mount it under a bench with some type of electric pump.get a car battery with alligator clips and for a fill neck you can hard pipe it or  use fuel hose.wanna get fancy go to ford or GM dealer and order a fiberglass or aluminum file plate like box truck or utility body truck uses.cut a square in trailer and recesses it and rivet or screw it to the outside same and the dealers do.you can buy transfer tanks vertical,L-shape or horizontal.thay have mounting tabs on the bottom just screw it down.when my kid raced quads I had a 40 gal tucked in the middle of the v-nose with 20' of hose and a manual crank pump.used it for 4 years of his racing

55 gallon drum and a couple good tie down points. You can put a transfer tank type pump right into the top of the drum and thread it in.

55 gallon drum and a couple good tie down points. You can put a transfer tank type pump right into the top of the drum and thread it in.
This is what Ill be doing for gas this year. 1st year with a moho for glamis. Had a bed tank in the truck before

I did the 55 gallon tank for a few years, then costco wouldn't let me put gas anymore unless it was bolted to the bed of the truck. then i bought a l shaped fuewl tank. I just don't want to put it into the trailer,.   But if push comes to shove... 

I'm getting ready to build a tank for my enclosed. I believe the pump and discharge hose/nozzle is the easy part. I'm thinking to mount the nozzle and hose in a box on the tongue so I can discharge to either side. I may even do a hose reel and was planning on about 50' of hose. The biggest challenge I see is the filler neck and hose to fill the tank. With enclosed trailers you don't have much ground clearance so your tank has to be fairly tight to the underside of the floor and doesn't leave much room for clearance. The only way I can see to route a filler hose into the top of the tank is to go through the main frame beam running the length of the trailer. So I will likely have to weld in a pipe collar or similar to avoid weakening the frame. I'm really curious how others with fuel stations have routed their fill hoses? I can't afford to lose any floor space between the wheel wells so I have to keep the fill hose tight to the inside of the wall. Can anyone send some photos of the underside of your enclosed with fuel tank and especially how the fill hose is routed? I know toy haulers have way more ground clearance so don't have the same issues. Any input would be appreciated. 

I have a similar clearance issue and was thinking...could you put the filler neck under a metal door/lid in the floor inside the trailer towards the center so it could be filled from either side with just opening the rear main ramp door? If you were to place it towards the rear it would be under the rear of a rail so it would be accessible even when loaded. Mine has a dovetail so as I get more towards the rear the access gets larger. I would just have to be careful not to place it too far back so it's still a bit higher than the tank when going uphill or put in a valve to close it off when not filling.

I'm getting ready to build a tank for my enclosed. I believe the pump and discharge hose/nozzle is the easy part. I'm thinking to mount the nozzle and hose in a box on the tongue so I can discharge to either side. I may even do a hose reel and was planning on about 50' of hose. The biggest challenge I see is the filler neck and hose to fill the tank. With enclosed trailers you don't have much ground clearance so your tank has to be fairly tight to the underside of the floor and doesn't leave much room for clearance. The only way I can see to route a filler hose into the top of the tank is to go through the main frame beam running the length of the trailer. So I will likely have to weld in a pipe collar or similar to avoid weakening the frame. I'm really curious how others with fuel stations have routed their fill hoses? I can't afford to lose any floor space between the wheel wells so I have to keep the fill hose tight to the inside of the wall. Can anyone send some photos of the underside of your enclosed with fuel tank and especially how the fill hose is routed? I know toy haulers have way more ground clearance so don't have the same issues. Any input would be appreciated. 
I don' t have any pics but my filler hose goes into the side of the tank at the very bottom.

After getting a 7k quote to add one under my trailer, not wanting to put a ton of weight on the tongue by having it either mounted on the tongue or in the front of the trailer (plus i needed all 24ft) - i ended up putting in 4 of these aluminum 17 gallon tanks...2 on each side...they are only  7 inches wide (same width as fenders)...I use a diesel transfer 12v pump to pump it into the toys (they are like 50 bucks on ebay)...

I bought a 50 gallon transfer tank at tractor supply and use it to transfer fuel into my trailer - i might cut holes in the trailer some day to avoid this step, but for now I have to buy two kinds of fuel (race gas and 91) - and the race gas is far away from my house and not worth towing the trailer there.

I'm happy with it - only cost me about 1k total...that's for all 4 tanks, various AN fittings, the 12v pump, the 50 gallon tank from tractor supply, and the pump for that tank...the aluminum tanks are only 115 on ebay.

Anyway - its a little tweek - but im a cheap as mofo, and it works.

image.png3

image.png

I don' t have any pics but my filler hose goes into the side of the tank at the very bottom.
And this doesn’t give you any problems when you fill it up at the gas station? In other words, will it accept fuel at a reasonable rate?

And this doesn’t give you any problems when you fill it up at the gas station? In other words, will it accept fuel at a reasonable rate?
I was wondering the same thing might be okay to maybe half full then not sure the weight of fuel going in would be enough to push it up in the rest of the tank, good question curious to know the answer.

No issues at all.

If you look at the WW trailers, they are the same way.

No issues at all.

If you look at the WW trailers, they are the same way.
This is really interesting. I do understand the physics involved here and that it should work. But practical reality tells me it would be slow. I would love some pictures if anyone has them or can take a few? Putting the fill neck at the bottom of the tank would greatly simplify my installation.

This is really interesting. I do understand the physics involved here and that it should work. But practical reality tells me it would be slow. I would love some pictures if anyone has them or can take a few? Putting the fill neck at the bottom of the tank would greatly simplify my installation.
No difference in speed what so ever.

AAA.jpg

Back