a theft success (at least a little bit) good GPS tracker info too

John@Outfront

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
a customer of mine came in the other day to get an idea of replacing his Subaru block, said it had a hole in the top of the block.  i asked what happened, the story goes...............

a few weeks he returned from Glamis and it was late and he was too tired to pull his ignition fuse that he normally does.  the next morning the 2006 truck, trailer, buggy and two quads were gone. he lives in Victorville 

luckily he had a GPS tracker called 
"Momentum"  $12 a month.  it records all stops time and location.  he was able to contact the police and a storage unit that was visited twice. they found his trailer abandoned in a field with nothing in it. with the police help, the storage unit looked at cameras and saw the truck come in twice, and with the code that was entered it was to a storage unit in another persons name.  there they were able to recover the two quads. and found the truck and buggy along with the thief in Tehachapi, motor was blown up and he went to jail, had lots of previous theft on his rap sheet, the cops said he will probably be out in a few days, (Newscum) but with help of his tracker he got his truck, trailer, buggy and quads back

I have said it before, if anything is attached to my truck, tractor, buggy, trailer or whatever i will make my truck not run, furthermore i will box in the trailer too as i have heard them just pull the trailer over to their truck and take off with it too  

Last edited by a moderator:
if the customer needs a block i have one that needs rebuilding for free if you want to get involved he  could call me to pick up in upland 909 214 8930 Zach and Gary Steele

Thanks for the tip about Momentum, and the story that shows how it can save all your toys.  I may subscribe to Momentum some day IF I EVER BUY ANYTHING new or current or in demand that anyone would want to steal  :classic_tongue:

a customer of mine came in the other day to get an idea of replacing his Subaru block, said it had a hole in the top of the block.  i asked what happened, the story goes...............

a few weeks he returned from Glamis and it was late and he was too tired to pull his ignition fuse that he normally does.  the next morning the 2006 truck, trailer, buggy and two quads were gone. he lives in Victorville 

luckily he had a GPS tracker called 
"Momentum"  $12 a month.  it records all stops time and location.  he was able to contact the police and a storage unit that was visited twice. they found his trailer abandoned in a field with nothing in it. with the police help, the storage unit looked at cameras and saw the truck come in twice, and with the code that was entered it was to a storage unit in another persons name.  there they were able to recover the two quads. and found the truck and buggy along with the thief in Tehachapi, motor was blown up and he went to jail, had lots of previous theft on his rap sheet, the cops said he will probably be out in a few days, (Newscum) but with help of his tracker he got his truck, trailer, buggy and quads back

I have said it before, if anything is attached to my truck, tractor, buggy, trailer or whatever i will make my truck not run, furthermore i will box in the trailer too as i have heard them just pull the trailer over to their truck and take off with it too  
So the trailer was found without a tracker?  Looks like the Momentum kits require ODB & 12 volt.  I am more worried about my trailer alone getting stolen.  Will have to see if they have a powered version.  Thanks for the info.

Following this as well! Intersted in adding a tracker to my rail and toy hauler. Do they offer a solution that only needs 12V power? has anyone seen one like that?

So the trailer was found without a tracker?  Looks like the Momentum kits require ODB & 12 volt.  I am more worried about my trailer alone getting stolen.  Will have to see if they have a powered version.  Thanks for the info.
it was found without a tracker because they were able to see all the stops!!!  they had to stop to unhook it.  also who would have guessed in a few hours the whole trailer, truck and contents would be a few hours away, and joy riding his buggy until he blew the motor up

For our equipment at work we use Geotab.  They have units that just need power.  So, you would just tie it into the battery on your trailer.  They draw almost nothing for power.  The communications is Cellular, but the tracking is GPS.  Geotab has a portal you can set up with geo fences.  It can send you alerts if it moves outside of that.  The tracking is so pin point it will give you street address..

The hardware is around $50 and the base tracking is like $6/mo.

For our equipment at work we use Geotab.  They have units that just need power.  So, you would just tie it into the battery on your trailer.  They draw almost nothing for power.  The communications is Cellular, but the tracking is GPS.  Geotab has a portal you can set up with geo fences.  It can send you alerts if it moves outside of that.  The tracking is so pin point it will give you street address..

The hardware is around $50 and the base tracking is like $6/mo.
sounds like a great option too

Yup, I need this for my TH (which holds one $45k RZR) and my Toy Box which holds the other ($45k RZR). Everything is insured, but these are obsolete RZR models that would be difficult to replace. My Toy Box is just a box, planning on getting it to the RV shop to add solar, batteries, the electronic tongue jack, winch and some interior lights... just haven't gotten around to it yet .. then I'd like to add this Geotab deal.

Happy ending and YES, but the dude will be out and serve little if no time.

abc

PS. We have a METH head who has over 37 arrests for all kinds of drugs, theft, violence (resisting arrest physically) and a few are felonies (stole a laptop worth $2500). He also stole a hand gun from my neighbor up the street who's from Kansas and didn't lock his vehicle. Pistol under the seat. So now he can ROB people, but I suspect he sold it for drugs.

I have him on camera and gave it all to the detectives. He's only served a few months for all of those crimes. He should be away for 10 years IMO. Buying the Geo deal now.

22LRGBG-2.jpg

We had a mail thief so I made a bait package with a $20 tracker from Amazon. It was stolen. This is the picture I gave the postal inspector. Shows address and everything.  Rechargeable.  Battery lasts about 2 weeks.

Screenshot_20220303-213251.jpg

Following this as well! Intersted in adding a tracker to my rail and toy hauler. Do they offer a solution that only needs 12V power? has anyone seen one like that?
The Trak4 is only $48, costs about $6/mo for tracking and has a 12v input and an internal battery that lasts about 8 or 9 months. It sends a daily location report that includes battery % and temperature. If you draw a geofence around it, if it moves outside of that it will text you and/or email you that it moved and will keep sending updates until 1 hr after it stops.

Beware of trackers that cost a lot upfront or charge a lot per month. It adds up, why spend $144/yr for tracking when you can get the same or better features for 1/2 the price?

Fyi, i have friends who are investigators. They put these on  cars in the middle of the night so they know where suspects go or to keep tabs on them incase they need to contact or arrest someone. They also said its not uncommon for husbands or wives to use same tech. Food for thought. My kids ride their bikes all over our town. May not be a bad idea to have them wear a tracker “just in case” even in our small country town we’ve had bholes try to pick up kids

The Trak4 is only $48, costs about $6/mo for tracking and has a 12v input and an internal battery that lasts about 8 or 9 months. It sends a daily location report that includes battery % and temperature. If you draw a geofence around it, if it moves outside of that it will text you and/or email you that it moved and will keep sending updates until 1 hr after it stops.

Beware of trackers that cost a lot upfront or charge a lot per month. It adds up, why spend $144/yr for tracking when you can get the same or better features for 1/2 the price?
Thank you for this! going to buy one then wire it in the car in a hidden but accessible spot.

We had a mail thief so I made a bait package with a $20 tracker from Amazon. It was stolen. This is the picture I gave the postal inspector. Shows address and everything.  Rechargeable.  Battery lasts about 2 weeks.

View attachment 29447
Looks like they have some old Fords.  Maybe you and @WLD_OTZ can head over there and make a deal...? :biggrin:

image.png

I also picked up a few of those Airtags.  They way they work is pretty slick with zero fees, and a 1 year battery life.  Dropped one in the console of a few of my cars. It's not GPS quality, but it will work to find a stolen car pretty quick.

Geotab offers units that will plug into a standard OBD2(or industrial) port as well for guys who want to track their trucks day to day.  Run time, speed, 3 axis accelerometer ( will tattle on them for accelerating/braking too quickly, or hitting the big jumps..)  Does ELD, fuel consumption, maintenance monitoring, etc. 

I bought this little gizmo off the Internet for I think $15 and threw it in the drawer I don’t have the instructions or even the box it came in. Never tried it or used it. Anyhow, I want a hard wired to battery unit for my rigs.

abc

5A0EA3E8-3145-44A4-BD0A-0453D669BBA7.jpeg

6D21F45D-97F8-4CE8-AC66-B3A3A7A5882C.jpeg

Samsung makes one that is called (SmartThings tracker) I think they are around 80 bucks, They are real small about the size of a silver dollar, No monthly fee. I throw it into my long range RC plane and they work great, Lost a plane one time and was able to recover it, You can also wire in a voltage step down and wire it directly to anything 12 volt. Can be hidden very easy , without being hard wired I believe it will last a few days.

Back