934 CVs and bolt suggestions?

Kansas T

Reaction score
The new to me buggy has a clicking 934 CV.  When I started disassembly, I first found some damaged bolts, so I need to source some new ones.  I see Kartek sells their own branded bolts, but they also sell EMPI.  A company called Dutchman axles sells ARP bolts.  Anybody have any suggestions?  The next thing is the CV joint.  I haven't gotten them apart to see whats damaged, but I know I'll be buying at least one complete joint so I have a spare to keep in the trailer.  I believe J Alper suggested in a different thread that the EMPI 934 joints hold up pretty good.   What do others like to use?

I have Empi 934s in my car with 3 seasons on them. Need to pull it apart to inspect but just waiting on Kartek for new Jamar micro stub bearing carriers. Pretty sure I bought Kartek bolts when I put it together. 

Without seeing pics of the damage I'll assume the bad bolts are from the axle hitting the head of the bolt. This is caused by too much angle. If you have limit strap shorten them. 

LRS, I believe your right.  I also noticed this buggy has 1/2” bolt heads and most replacements I’m finding say they have 7/16.  I’ll check the angles during reassembly.

LRS, I believe your right.  I also noticed this buggy has 1/2” bolt heads and most replacements I’m finding say they have 7/16.  I’ll check the angles during reassembly.
Seen it plenty of times in cars I've prepped, my car included. I keep my axles at a conservative 22° but they still make contact. Wider rear arms would help but then I'll need a wider enclosed trailer. Eff all that.

This car has Pro Am micro stubs.  Switching to mid board hubs may help to.

The Empi bolt is a great bolt, it is a grade 12, we sent a ProAmm bolt to Jessie at Empi 5 years ago, we had the only rights to sell it for 2 years until it was released to the public, we sold over 500 of them before they went out to the normal market,  it really is a great bolt, 

The Kartek bolt is now like the Empi, the original ProAmm head was 1/8 shorter and tended to round out on the head, the empi had a better head than the ProAmm, now the Kartek bolt has a longer head on them and is a great bolt also, 

The Empi, ProAmm and Kartek all use the 7/16 Socket this will allow for more clearance, 

You can use Allen head bolts they work but not really the correct way to do them,  I the ARP is not a good way to go because they use the 1/2 head and will get in the way, 

The Empi CV, I have Drilled a lot of CV's for zerks and doing so some are soft and some hard as hell, for the most part the Empi CV has always drilled the same, not as hard as a GKN but pretty hard to drill,  

I have had some GKN drill like it had no heat treat, so hard to say how good a CV is until you Rockwell one, but so far i have never broke a EMPI CV, I have seen a couple break but for the most part they are really strong, 

I would have never run them, but Butch Dean my old boss said that is all they run on Pat Dean Class one car so i tried them and so far, it has worked very well, I love Fortin and i am a Fortin Dealer but have broken one of their cages, was kind of a fluke maybe. so for me with a NA car i stick to the Empi for now, 

A little update.  I found one damaged star.  Otherwise the CVs looked great. I also found that the CV bolts are hitting the axle at full droop, but not just due to angle.  This car has grease zerk boot flanges which requires 1/2” longer CV bolts.  The added length means I have to run even less angle.  Since my dune trip is less than a week away, I’ll shorten up the limit straps and readdress this at a later date.4A1ADC89-4EA3-4252-9EC1-2EB9513E9759.jpeg737163CF-3E5B-4D1D-86F5-B4A0E43DDB5E.jpegC12DF24C-4849-44C3-B9A0-BC338074FEFF.jpeg

I have those same greasers on mine. Have you ever watched how the grease goes in? IMO they do not spread it around and I think they are worthless. Maybe I am wrong. 

I prep 20-25 sets of CVs a year and I've never seen a set of those on a car. I feel they give a false sense of 'prepped' because you can grease the CVs whenever you want. But as you've seen, if you don't pull the CVs apart and inspect them, you will not see the bad parts.

Glad you've found the issue and make your next trip.

I have those same greasers on mine. Have you ever watched how the grease goes in? IMO they do not spread it around and I think they are worthless. Maybe I am wrong. 
I agree with you.  There was a ton of grease in the boots, but not as much in the joint.  

Back