5 point harness

parker@gearone

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
I believe there use to be a thread on the old site of what harnesses everyone liked, need to get a set, the ones in my new to me sand rail look as old as me. I'm not worried about price this is a safety item.

I have had good experiences with both Simpson and Crow.

I have had good experiences with both Simpson and Crow.
This ☝️. But Chapparral motorsports here in CA had the PRP's and are surprisingly very nice and quality with metal adjusters. 

Not worried about the price, Go to the Crow web site and order the ones you want the way you want them. 4 point or 5, 2" or 3" belts, buckle or latch, Pull up or pull down lap belts  even the color is an option.

Love my Crow belts with the pull up option for the lap belt part. 

I could never get them tight enough pulling down.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have and love my Simpsons.  I hear team tech are really good as well. 

I’ve been a long time believer of Simpson. I did leave for awhile when Bill left to start Impact. We were the first off road racers to use Impact belts. 

But I have since gone back to Simpson. I really like the FX latch system. The belt adjuster is intergraded into the latch & link hardware. So as some have said pull downs are hard to do through the seat,  but with the FX you are pulling at your gut. Some don’t like them as the buckle is bulkier.  I also only run 3 inch belts and use the cam shoulder belt release adjusters. As a personal preference I also do clip ins, so it’s easier to pull the belts when washing the car or cleaning the belts. 

Another custom touch I do, is I added a stitched loop piece of nylon material on the left shoulder belt to slip the intercom plug through. This way I’m not chasing the cable when belting in as it’s right on the top of the shoulder belt. When racing it was zip tied to the pumper hose making it easy. 

Im contemplating trying a new rotary Cam Lock they have. It’s suppose to be more dirt resistant & water resistant. Score has allowed rotary cam locks in the last year or so, but I don’t know anyone using them yet. The new Speed UTV is coming standard with Cam Lock 5 point harness, but they are 2 inch. 

One more thing, I suggest you only buy SFI certified belts. The reason is SFI means they have to follow a standard. Hardware has to be forged, with a breaking point min. The belt webbing has to meet stretch and tensile strength and be flame retardant. Each lot code of material has to have a test and be recorded. Belts that are not SFI could use cast hardware & latches. The belt webbing could be made from tie down strap material in China and sewn with standard thread by a 9 year old. 

Really happy with my Simpson belts and they are local to me so it's easy to swing by the shop and get what I need. Actually headed there next week for a new set of belts for a clients car.

I just got all new PRP's last year and love them.  All the adjusters works easily and the padding on the chest belts is just enough and comfortable.  My wife can adjust the belts easily which we all know is a plus.

I have the newer style Master Craft in the front seats & the older style in the rear seats.  they all have have shoulder pads, Anti-Sub crotch straps & duck bill latches.  Im about as happy as I can be with them.  the shoulder belts on the front sets have a nice mechanism that make it very easy to tighten & losen.  it kind of looks like this.

image.png

One thing I dont like about the seats though is how close together the slots are in the seats for the shoulder belts.  if I dont have a hoodie or jacket on, they rub my neck. 

image.png

I used Crow for years and went to Simpson, then I rode in a friends new car with PRP's, now thats all I use.

Whats most important to me is how easy they are to tighten and loosen as they age and that they stay tight. I can adjust the PRPs easily when we do our first stop- all belts loosen a bit driving. The PRP's have been better than Crow for me .  I also swap the belts every 3 seasons - too much sun  and too much speed - old belts will stretch in crash - for more than people realize - like 4-5" depending on how much you wegh and how hard you hit

You guys took care of us on some midboard parts,  if you need some Crows we are down the street from them and will take care of you,  They really car about the industry and they have a Sandcar,  

I used to use Crow but have switched to PRP and really like them they are padded well where needed and are ez to adjust and stay tight well. I am sure you can’t go wrong with any of the major players harnesses if I was going to try something else I would probably try Simpson.

Back