5 gallons of water in my diesel........

John@Outfront

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
well i had a guy who rented a tractor from me and while filling it up before he brought it back he unknowingly put 5 gallons of water in my 30 gallon tank.  after it stopped running he found his mistake.  his wife thought that the blue jugs they had were for water and he used them for fuel.  i rushed home and in 30 min i got 99% of the water out of the tank with a very nicely placed tank drain. then i cleaned the fuel filter/separator, then bled fuel lines at the pump, then bleed the lines to the injectors, then it started right up and sounds normal.  i will be changing the filter right away but is there a product you can use to get any last few ounces out of the tank? he did compensate me for my time and feels horrible, i just didn't want to think about my tank, pump and injectors sitting one night with water in them.  he disposed of the mixed fuel and paid me an extra $200 for my time and to buy a new fuel filter

thanks 

The primary fuel filter should also be a water separator. If you got 99% of the water out of the tank and you've changed all the filters ans its now running, I'd say your good to go and not to worry about it anymore.

I'm generally not big on additives, but if there are remnants laying in nooks and crannies it may be worth a shot to try some, especially to avoid bugs in fuel . Here is another.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back