5.3L, Turbo Honda or Northstar ?

Pennywise

Reaction score
Doing some re-work to the hustler I have for sale. It is going to get a re-powder on the chassis, blacked out suspension, new jettrim seats and a few other nice upgrades. I have 3 choices on power:

1. Leave the northstar in it. It runs good and seems to make good power. Re-sale is low I think I’d be lucky to get $3k for the complete turn key package. 
2. install the 450hp turbo Honda 3.5 I just picked up. Down side is race gas but honestly it’s only about $100-150 a weekend difference. This swap is about $5,500 all in. 
3. Drop in a Chevy 5.3L with cam & bigger injectors.  This swap is close to $7k all in. 

I’m obviously looking at ROI but I’m more interested in making this a great dune car and a car someone would want to buy & enjoy.  

let me know your thoughts. 

Sell it before you get buried in it. That is not a desireable car and not worth the investment IMO.

Fun factor is the Honda. Reliable option is the 5.3 and obviously the cheap option is to keep your North Star. Seems like there was always somebody getting a season cut short because of a North star problems though.

For the best ROI I'd leave the Northstar and put that money into having airbags put on the car. The coils will be the biggest turn off on that car. 
I'm looking at this, the issue is finding some used shocks. The lead time on new stuff is nuts. 

I ran a Methanol injected Turbo Honda 3.5 for 10 years and was super fun and reliable. Best part, no race gas!

That Funco needed this.  Good on ya for sticking with it and seeing it thru.

Back