400 Mile Baja Run

Azdunerat

Reaction score
My wife and I are doing a Baja trip next month in our Can Am. One of my close friends talked us into going, should be about 15 cars on the ride. 

I know a couple guys here have done similar rides and I was just curious what your overall experience was. That and if you have any tips or suggestions for a first timer. 

Slow down make sure you can take in the view.

Bring Imodium.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know many friends that have done this, some are currently coming back up from Cabo right now.  

Take a lot of Pics.

You are covering a lot of miles every day, lots of seat time.  Many of them come back and said the days sometimes are very long, so be prepared.

I just got back from 4 days in San Felipe, did three days of off roading.  Ready to go back

group.jpg

beach.jpg

chenowidth.jpg

Hotle view.jpg

Mikes Syl Ranch.jpg

trucks 2.jpg

We are doing a 4 day baja expedition with off the grid expeditions based out of Santa Ana ca.  I've been following them on IG and seen them at the Sand Show the past two years.  We are going on our first run on March 22nd, most of their trips are 15 can ams and/or RZR.  They only take SXS and provide all accommodations at hotels, breakfast and dinners, full support, chase, mechanics, and carry most spare parts for can ams only.  The owner of the company has over 30,000 miles in baja and is the lead car.  All cars need to have lowrance GPS, race radios, and a spare.  The last car has the mechanic and medic with satellite phone.  The chase truck drives towards your next destination on the roads and meets you at the hotel at the end of the leg for the day.

Hit me up if you have any questions

Erik

I would add, you should have a chase light, might even make sure you have ambers on the front as well.

I have spare axles, spare tire, 5 gallon fuel pack, iPad with GPS puck and 2 spare belts. 

good call on the Imodium, I wouldn’t have thought of that. 

my wife is worried because her sisters keep telling her how dangerous it is in Mexico right now. Maybe I am just numb to it but I am not worried at all. 

I have spare axles, spare tire, 5 gallon fuel pack, iPad with GPS puck and 2 spare belts. 

good call on the Imodium, I wouldn’t have thought of that. 

my wife is worried because her sisters keep telling her how dangerous it is in Mexico right now. Maybe I am just numb to it but I am not worried at all. 
Baja in my mind is not Mexico Mainland.  We drive into Baja every year, sometimes more.  A couple of rules we live by: don't be drunk Americans, don't buy drugs, don't bring any drugs or anything to do with weapons into Mex, and try like hell not be out driving at night.  Almost the same rules I apply to be in any large city Downtown. 

I have a theory, if you look like an Off Roader, they really leave you alone.

When you come up to Federal checkpoints, open all windows and make sure they can see everything easily from looking in the window.  Last trip was the first time they ask to see passports as well (I think they were training a new person).  

One other thing, If bringing gas cans, bring them empty, fill them up down there.

Have fun, be smart

Where are you going in Baja?   I have done the ride from Ensenada to San Quitin several times and nothing beats the views along the coast.   Never had any issues other than a speeding ticked my friend actually deserved.  LOL!

Make sure you get all you insurance stuff squared away.   Baja Bound is who I have used   https://www.bajabound.com

Carry a spare tire, 2-3 spare belts, spare rear axle, tie rod, ball joints, a few extra heims if you have aftermarket radius rods, and the tools to fix everything.   Bring bug spray in case the mosquitoes are out.   

Food all throughout Baja is good.    

Have fun this is a great time of year to go. 

It's one of the most incredible places on earth. Can't wait to go back. Where are you headed? 400 Miles is a great first time distance

IMG_6442.JPG

IMG_6460.JPG

dd-san-felipe.JPG

La rumorosa to San Felipe to ensanada back to La Rumorosa. 

give or take a little bit. 

Awesome

I drank the water from the tap everywhere but i have the stomach of an ox.  extra gas is mandatory (or means to transport it)  the absolute thing to buy is a "giant loop" fuel bags

Amazon.com: Giant Loop Armadillo Bag, Utility Bladder for Safe Transport and Storage of Powersports and Automotive Fluids, for Motorcycles, UTVs, ATVs, 3-Gallon : Automotive

i got two of the three gallon bads, they are wonderful,  they have their own built in spout, when they are poured in the car they fold up really small. since i got those i have regretted buying any other form of (roto pax or others) transportation.  they have straps to put your ROK Straps through.

i brought a 12 pack of octane booster, many places sell it but i would rather have them with me.  Catavina only sells gas from a street vendor and its only 87.

we drove hundreds of miles along the seashore and you must have extra gas everywhere (for SXS's)

safety?  my wife was concerned i went to Mexico but it was very calm, safe and never felt any issues,  really we had very little contact with anyone there during our 1400 mile trip.  cities were very nice and people were very friendly. we went through federalies in Ojos Negros was the only check point we hit

have fun!

Awesome

I drank the water from the tap everywhere but i have the stomach of an ox.  extra gas is mandatory (or means to transport it)  the absolute thing to buy is a "giant loop" fuel bags

Amazon.com: Giant Loop Armadillo Bag, Utility Bladder for Safe Transport and Storage of Powersports and Automotive Fluids, for Motorcycles, UTVs, ATVs, 3-Gallon : Automotive

i got two of the three gallon bads, they are wonderful,  they have their own built in spout, when they are poured in the car they fold up really small. since i got those i have regretted buying any other form of (roto pax or others) transportation.  they have straps to put your ROK Straps through.

i brought a 12 pack of octane booster, many places sell it but i would rather have them with me.  Catavina only sells gas from a street vendor and its only 87.

we drove hundreds of miles along the seashore and you must have extra gas everywhere (for SXS's)

safety?  my wife was concerned i went to Mexico but it was very calm, safe and never felt any issues,  really we had very little contact with anyone there during our 1400 mile trip.  cities were very nice and people were very friendly. we went through federalies in Ojos Negros was the only check point we hit

have fun!
Great call on the octane booster, I will order some before we head down. 

I have one of the 5 gallon armadillo bladders, they are amazing. 

"highlands leg cramp" pills.  super small bottle, i use them at night when i get a cramp in my legs.  my buddy needed some during the ride sitting in the drivers seat too long

Back