4 Bolt Rims

Stinky

Reaction score
I consider the 4 bolt rims to be a....how would you say, design-flaw, accident waiting to happen, bad-idea.  Is that true? 

Has anybody had negative experiences w/the 4-bolt?  I know that w/a rim wider than 10", that there is a bunch of leverage on it....on a light rail, or a Baja, does it matter?

Wouldn’t think there would be much of a selection of VW 4 bolt pattern wheels for off road use.  I’ve always stuck with wide 5 or spindle mount wheels. 

Many moons ago, my boss had a rail, and it had 4 bolt hubs on it.  I don't remember him having an issue.  He had 10' wide, or so, rims on it.

Can't those hubs be changed to 5-bolts?

I was looking at a fiberglass bodyied DB the other day...just like the one that DExter Reilly drove, and it had IRS w/4-bolt hubs...and wheel adapters plates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Used them for a while, but didn’t like the lack of options for a spare so swapped when I needed to replace my brakes. 

The 4 bolt wheel mounting surfaces are about twice as thick as a 5 bolt from what I’ve seen, so strength shouldn’t be a huge concern.

Used them for a while, but didn’t like the lack of options for a spare so swapped when I needed to replace my brakes. 

The 4 bolt wheel mounting surfaces are about twice as thick as a 5 bolt from what I’ve seen, so strength shouldn’t be a huge concern.
Yes, if you look at a Douglas 4 bolt wheel it has 3 layers of metal in them vs. 2 on the wide 5. They do hold up on light rails, son's car still has them on it, for now.

Back