39'' Skats compared to 35.5 STU

J Alper

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Wanted to try something different so i shaved down a set of 39'' BFG 13.5 wide, after they shaved the BFG it was about the same size of the 35.5

at the end of the day, the Skats just did not bite enough for what i wanted some pics to compare,  

IMG_9921.JPG

IMG_9749.JPG

IMG_9747.JPG

IMG_9741.JPG

IMG_9922.JPG

SKCC5047.JPG

WBCA1106.JPG

Just for curiosity, what was the weight difference? I feel like the shaved bfg would weigh a lot more

almost the same weight, 

when they shave the BFG, they get as thin as the STU, so just as hard to patch if you get a nail in the tire,

So picking your brain for a second here, I've been curious to try a shaved/ glued paddle. What was it that you didn't like? Not enough straight line hook up? Dig too much? Or?

So picking your brain for a second here, I've been curious to try a shaved/ glued paddle. What was it that you didn't like? Not enough straight line hook up? Dig too much? Or?
For me the  scats just really vibrate the car, dig in at slow speeds, and just didn’t float and drive as good as a molded Stu tire. They were still way heavier over the STU on a BFG project by a lot. Just guessing they were at least 15 lbs heavier. 

Last edited by a moderator:
What i was after was a more durable tire,  but when shaved they where as thin as a STU, so when it picked up a nail it, they did not patch like a normal tire the patch was a difficult as a normal paddle, 

The Paddle cup did not last as long as my 35.5, 

Last was they stayed more flat than a 35.5, so they just slid way to much, if you where going straight around 60-80 mph and got into a turn, it was like on Ice,   you always had to stay into the throttle, 

traction was about the same as a 35.5,  so went back to a STU 

My buddy did this in 2002.

They lasted about 3 years and then the paddles started flying off at the hill.  Was funny.

They worked well for his application.

What was the cost delta between the two? Just curious if sending a set of worn mud terrains I have out for shaving/scoops is any cheaper than the STUs...

I’m surprised to hear the weights are similar, they must shave a ton off! 

thanks,

-Dave

What i was after was a more durable tire,  but when shaved they where as thin as a STU, so when it picked up a nail it, they did not patch like a normal tire the patch was a difficult as a normal paddle, 

The Paddle cup did not last as long as my 35.5, 

Last was they stayed more flat than a 35.5, so they just slid way to much, if you where going straight around 60-80 mph and got into a turn, it was like on Ice,   you always had to stay into the throttle, 

traction was about the same as a 35.5,  so went back to a STU 
The slide is the fun part

Back