2D 2nd gear noise

Angusbeef

Reaction score
New to me car, '03 Amplified Performance, LS1, 2D. First trip last weekend went well. Cruising in 2nd, I can hear a rotational noise. Doesn't sound bad by any means but curious if others with that trans hear it too? I'm paranoid after blowing 2nd gear in my last car up Olds. (ecotec/002)

Speaking of 2nd Gear, what happened to 3rd Gear Lady?

Sorry back to topic.  

By rotational noise do you mean a high pitched whine? 

Last edited by a moderator:
If 2nd is the only gear whining, then it is wearing out.

It will whine louder the more it wears.

If the noise has developed over the past few drives, and is progressively getting worse, then it is most likely wearing out and should be replaced as soon as possible.

Occasionally, you will get a brand new gear that makes a whining noise right out of the box. It's not common, but it happens. Most builders will have the issue in the shift jig and return the gear to us for replacement. It's usually not a huge deal and never causes a problem as long as the noise doesn't get any worse with use. 

Same setup LS1 2d and my 2nd is a whiny little beech too. I hardly use it honestly other than for taking off but 3rd comes in really quickly and can dune in 3rd/4th all day so I just ignore it. 

Back in my hot boating days; I used to love the whine.  Casale V-drive was whining, gear drive was whining, blower was whining.   IIRC, Pete Jackson had a gear drive that made 'extra noise'.  In sand cars not so much.......

I would pop the drain plug if you are concerned but my 2D has a very distinct rotational I guess you could call it a whine in second and third. ITs been gone through twice and its always there. Put your headsets on and run it!

Back